I have been having pain in my hip and buttock. It is mostly when I am running. I am running each morning 10 miles to be in shape. However, now I started to feel when I am sitting. What it can be? Should I be concerned?

I had same symptoms. It started with pain in my buttocks. I had unnecessary surgery to my hip, still in pain, unnecessary nerves burnt in my lower back, still in pain and endless injections and diagnosis and know one being able to help my pain. A specialist had wanted me to go on morphine but he said I would have an addiction problem. I feel like I have permanent flu, I can’t sleep, one minute I am hot the next I am cold.

When you run, your the force of impact each time your foot hits the ground is 3-4 times that of your body weight. And running ten miles daily and put stress on the same muscles over and over again, causing possible imbalance and muscle rigidity. The body compensates to prevent injury by tightening muscles, and over time, chronically brittle and tense muscles can develop. Tense muscles can cause joints to rub and grind, perhaps creating the discomfort you fell in your hips.

You can try to soften and elongate chronically shortened muscles by stretching the muscles around the hip. There are may exercises in yoga that can help! I'll outline 3 here.

1. Create space between your ribs and your hips by a deep side stretch. Inhale your hands above your head and press your palms together. Keeping yourself tall, tuck the tailbone under and pull the navel in. Breathe 2-3 breaths here, feeling the ribs expand and relaxing the shoulders. Then, on an exhale lead with your hands and bring your torso to the R. It's important to have a sense of evenness between the front and back planes of the the body, so imagine that you are pressed between 2 pieces of glass, one in front and one behind. Stretch long on your inhale, and relax on your exhale. Stay here 4-5 breaths. Exhale your navel to your spine to protect your lower back, and then inhale up to center. Same for side 2.

2. Hip flexor stretch. Take a giant step forward with your R foot, feet hip distance apart. Drop your back L knee to the floor, toes can be curled under or flat on the floor. Square both hips to the front, drop your tailbone, pull your navel to your spine and bring both hands to the hips. Bend your front R knee over your front R ankle, not more than 90 degrees. Breathe full, long breaths taking care to lift the ribs from the pelvis on your inhales and pull the navel to the center on your exhales. If you'd like to increase heartrate, raise both hands (should distance wide) over your head and square the shoulders to the front. Take 4-5 long, deep breaths and then change sides.

3. Sit on a chair with both legs on the floor hip distance wide. Come to the edge of the chair so that you feel the sitting bones open and flat on the chair. Bring your R ankle to the outside of your left knee. Flex the R foot, pull the navel to the spine, and (if possible) bring a little weight onto the R knee gently using the weight of the arms leaning forward. Breathe deeply into the hip joint 4-5 breaths. Inhale to center and change sides.

Write back! Hope it helps.