HI
I am 6 months pregnant and for the last month I have been having severe hip pain at night. I am not sleeping well and the pain is so bad at times it makes me cry. Told my doctor and she said it was normal but there was nothing she could do for me. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I can do to help the pain? Thanks so much

Hi, im sorry your in so much pain, I had this exact kind of joint, hip, back pain when I was pregnant for my second child. I was told the same thing, its normal, theres nothing you can do to relieve it, not medically anyways except w/e your Dr says you can take for pain which doesnt help!! Which im sure you know.

I had to sleep sitting up on the couch for about the last 4 months of my pregnancy which didnt eliminate the aches but greatly reduced them.

It was so bad when I tried laying or sleeping in a bed that I litterely could not get up,Id cry , the pains were just so sharp. If you do lay in a bed tho and not opt for the sofa like I learned to!! lol.... Use lots of pillows!!! Between your thighs and knees even holding one in your arms can decrease some chest pressure and help you to breath easier.

I hope this helps....

Feel better soon!!

I would suggest speaking with your Doctor. I had sever pain and it ended up that I had a cyst that was twisting my ovary. It is always better safe than sorry.

I was getting hip pain before I got pregnant but it went in about 10 min. Now that I'm pregnant it lasts for hours and is a lot worse Im scared I'll be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 8 months. My Doctor said that going to a ciro or phisio will hurt the baby I dont know what to do.

That is normal, I had it in my previous pregnancy and my current one. I bought a body pillow and it helps a little. Good luck and remember when your little one is finally here, he or she will give you many more pains worse then the physical ones you have now as well as plenty of joy.

I am currently 6months pregnant. and I have had the hip/back pain for quite sometime as well. I questioned my doctor about this and i was informed that its my siatic nerve, which the baby is pressing on. It will only get worse the bigger that they get... unfortunately there is nothing that can be done.. just try to remember in the end when your little one is in your arms it will all be worth it :-)

There is sciatic pain and then there is another, more mysterious pain.

What most of you seem to be referring to this mysterious pain that is completely different from sciatica and can happen before the baby has reached a size to put pressure on the sciatic nerve. What we are talking about is pain that is related to the loosening of ligaments due to hormonal changes.

I am in the 8th or 9th week of my second pregnancy, and I am experiencing the pain again. In my first pregnancy I was worried I'd be in a wheelchair, but the pain was greatly reduced in the 8th month for some reason - maybe due to 3 visits to a chiropractor, maybe due to hormones again, who knows? But don't expect you will be in pain the entire time, that it will get worse, and that you can't do anything about it. You just don't know and if you expect the worst, it can really get you down. Stay hopeful.

One possible cause could be that the hips are out of alignment - there are chiropractors who specialize in pregnancy treatment (the person whose doctor said stay away from chiropractors should drop that doctor - that doctor has no idea of alternative treatment which could help you!)

The suggestions to sleep upright are very helpful for managing the nighttime pain. The only concern is that towards the end of the pregnancy, the baby has to be in the right position and lying on your back in a reclined position can encourage a posterior birth - not ideal for a smooth birth. So perhaps use reclined sleeping until halfway through the 8th month, providing you are not expecting an early birth. If you know you'll have a C-section, you could sleep in a recliner until your due-date.

I found forward bending and walking made things worse. If I dropped something, I just left it there for my husband to pick up later. Not worth bending and suffering. Gentle backward bending helps - see a good yoga therapist or chiropractor for this. Instead of walking, ask for suggestions for gentle exercise. Even swimming was hard for me - not to mention getting in and out of my bathing suit.

Deep breathing (yoga or a breathing CD can guide you) can help a lot, as well as meditation.

This time I am going to try Jin Shin Jitsu - energy work. The second pregnancy is usually more difficult than the first with this kind of pain, so I'm looking to be pro-active! I have had positive outcomes before for non-pregnancy related pain.

Finally - rest!! I found the most comfortable (and non-aggravating) position for me was sitting upright on a chair - not slouched - with a towel folded under my bottom. Sit up straight.

Stay away from anyone who thinks you are over-reacting. This is real, and what you are feeling is real, and you need to take care of yourself. It is frustrating but do try the above suggestions.

All my best to you! Have a wonderful birth.

I am having the same exact pain and I went to the doctor to complain and she put me on extra strength tylenol. There is something that can be done with pain. I hate when doctors say there is nothing they can do like they dont care about their patients. That is why I switch doctors in the first place.

Actually my massage therapist was the only one who offered me the correct solution for this problem! I've had hip pain before, but pregnancy has made it so much worse. There is a solution, though!

When laying on your side, keep your bottom leg straight. The top leg, underneath the knee and lower leg especially, needs to be lifted up so that your upper leg, knee & lower knee are parallel to the bed/floor, whatever you're sleeping on. That means two or three pillows at least.

It's a bit of a pain to move the pillows when you have to switch sides, but since I've been doing this, I have had little to no pain in my hips. Relief!

I had the same pain starting in month 3. I was told the same thing by the doctor, just to deal with it. I took things into my own hands and started exercising more consistently, specifically doing lots of core exercises, hip, glute and leg exercises. I haven't felt the pain in over 2months now. At the very sign of it coming on, I get a lower body workout in, doing lunges, squats, inner/outer thigh and plank and it never develops into what it was before.

Thank you to the person who posted about using 2-3 pillows to get her upper leg parallel to the bed -- this has made such a difference for me. I'm suffering from the same SPD and related night hip pain, but if i keep my knees far apart with a few pillows (and that for me is even more important than keeping my leg that high AND parallel), it almost totally prevents my hips from hurting. I was using one body pillow before, but the addition of two more makes all the difference.

I know exactly what you mean, and I can tell you what I've found to be helpful. (Ok, I know this is a couple years later, but maybe someone else will come here looking for some relief!)

I'm 6 months preggo with my first, and I'm 36 yrs. My hips and back have hurt quite a bit for the last 6 weeks or so. The things already mentioned here do alleviate some of those aches and pains.
- pillows between your knees when sleeping on your side, - sitting up as straight as possible when seated- prenatal YOGA helps a LOT! -

But I have also found a LOT of relief using a maternity support band. The one I have is super basic, it goes around your waist right over your hips and under your belly, with extra bands to increase the support at the hip area. It INSTANTLY gives relief when I need it, and I try to only use it when necessary so I don't rely too much on it.

Also, make sure you are drinking a LOT of water, this helps in so many ways, but one of them is keeping your joints from getting tooo stiff.

Good luck! :-)

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and an avid runner; I also do tons of yoga. I've been having hip pain - it hurts when i get up from sitting, but gets better once I'm walking around. Any one have any thing similar? Any advice?

I had researched this site when I was 5 months pregnant with my second child and suffering excrutiating hip pain a night. I would awake in tears after only 1-2 hours of sleep. I am now in my final month and am coping quite well. I MUST SHARE my solution!!! My friend, who is a mother of four, swears by her air mattress. I have a Sleep Number (Select Comfort) bed and thought that should be better than an air mattress. I was wrong. My bed is a standard mattress, so when I would deflate it, my hip would actually hit the board below. When I would inflate it, it was too stiff and wouldn't help. (It worked for my first pregnancy, but I didn't realize the hip pain increases with subsequent pregnancies.) The key is to get an extra deep air mattress. I am using a twin size, which may make a difference, too. Only inflate it half way, so that you can press your toe in the center of the mattress and touch the floor. It is a little tricky climbing in to a wobbly mattress ( I rolled out a few times ;) But once you get the hang of it, it works like a charm. The mattress actually wraps around you, supporting your hips and growing belly. I also use a standard body pillow to help align my hips and legs, all the way down to my ankes. After 3-5 hours of sleep I need to roll over. This is very hard to do in a wobbly twin mattress, so I roll out, go to the bathroom, then climb back in on the other hip. I still have some hip discomfort, but it is completely tolerable - unlike the unbearable pain I had before. I am due in 3 weeks! I hope this helps someone get better sleep. Good luck little Mamas!!!!

A HUGE amount of hip pain is caused by a TWISTING pelvis or stiffness of the hip joint in ROTATION.

Both of these problems cause increased stress on 1 or both, ( usually 1), hip joint(s).

Pregnancy just amplifies the problem.

3 suggestions. The first is to do lots of calf stretches. I know this seems like it's a long way from the problem, but the number 1 cause of a twisting pelvis is tight, unbalanced calf muscles. So stretch them many times during the day and see if it helps. When you stretch your calves, always do it once with your leg straight, and once with your leg bent. This will stretch the 2 main muscles of your calf, gastroc (straight) and soleus (bent).

2nd is (if you can still comfortably lie on your back), lie on your back, with your feet wide apart and drop your knees from side to side. Let your pelvis roll up with the movement. The further you have your feet apart, the more it will improve the rotation of your femur (upper leg) relative to your pelvis. Make sure you drop your knees down as far as they will go, without stressing your bub or belly. Breathe out as you go to each side.

3rd is to sleep with a pillow between your legs when you are on your side. This can make a huge difference.

Stay loose,

Bruce

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***