Hi, I'm 24 years old and recently my boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex. I'm afraid that I might be pregnant. I took the home pregnancy test once and it was negative. I have heard that these tests are very unreliable and unsafe, one of my friends took the test two times, once it was negative and the second time it turned out to be positive. How really reliable are those tests and why do they have to be taken two times?

Home pregnancy tests are very common these days and in most cases they will be accurate, some producers claim 99% accuracy if the test is done properly. They work on the very simple principal, they are detecting the levels of human chorionic gonadotropine (hCG) which is produced by the placenta of the newly forming embryo. If there is even the smallest amount of hCG in the blood it is a certain sign that youre pregnant. The reason why the first test might be negative is that some tests can't detect very low concentrations of the hCG, if the test is done few days after the first one it is usually positive because in the meantime the amount of the hCG increases. So if you took the HPT once and if it turned out to be negative it doesn’t have to meant that you’re not pregnant. You should take it again approximately a week after the first one and if that one turns out to be negative then it is a certain sign that you’re not pregnant. Still it would be the best for you to go to your gynecologist if you have doubts about the accuracy of the tests, because there is a possibility that you are doing it wrong.

I did a hpt about 2 weeks ago and the first two came out positive. I went to the hospital because I had very light spotting and they said I was pregnant, my hormone level was at 5. I then tested again at home ad have had negative results. I went on a trip and before the plane landed I was nauseous and vomiting and continued to do so for about 2 days. Could I be pregnant? I don't have tender breasts at all.

hi i have the same problem except i took a home pragancy test and it was the kind for a dollar where there are two lines by each other well the second line came up just a little bit and so i went and got more test they came out neg. so i went to the hospital and they said it came back neg but come back in a week b/c since the first one can out positive that there machines arent detecting it at this point so i have to go back in a week to see if my hormones went up and so there test can detect it .. i am haveing all the test i mean all them.. and all my friends and doctor says as long as a second line shows up even if it didnt show up half way that it detected something and that i am prago soo if i where you i'd wait if u want it to show up on a test .... like me im going to wait about a week or two to see if it shows up on the blood work at the hospital....