I was 17 days late today and got my period (I am usually on time execpt this month and last month). The week I was suppose to get my period I had very sore nipples (my nipples are usually just a little sore the few days before my period). I usually get light crampy feelings a few days before my period also, this month nothing no sign at all. It was just different, odd this month. The flow seems to be about the same, but now I'm worried I'm pregnant and don't dare to start birth control (should have got it and started the pill a long time ago but put it off until this month, December). I was thinking about taking a pregnancy test last week and I just never got to and wouldn't have had the privacy to get one, should I get one now? Could it have been a miscarriage?

If you are worried about pregnancy I am assuming you have had unprotected sex? If not, periods CAN be delayed by illness, anxiety or stress, poor weight or diet or obesity etc. Although a normal bleed is usually a good sign you are not pregnant, A pregnancy test is the only clear way to answer to your worries, they're available from most supermarkets or pharmacies. or alternatively you can get one free down your local family planning/planned parenthood clinic.

They work by detecting a hormone called Human chorionic gonadotropin (or hCG) in urine. This hormone is only found in pregnant women, and your bleeding wouldn't affect the result. Its easy to take, just make sure you sit down and carefully read all instructions before you take the test.

Unfortunately, our uterus can be finiky, and our cycles are easily upset by stress, exercise, and any kind of dietary changes.