hi there,
i know that depo provera can give you some signs of being pregnant but i have a son and i feel the same way no as to when i was pregnant with him. i want to take a home test but im not sure if being on depo will change the results- will it say pos. because of the birth controll or will it say pos. because i could really be pregnant-??
please help %-)
chriss

Hi Chris...

It's my understanding that pregnancy tests detect a hormone that's specific to pregnancy called Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG). The depo-provera shot uses a different hormone, a synthetic progesterone. This hormone prevents ovulation (the release of eggs from the ovaries) which is how it works as a birth control method.

So, theoretically, it should not affect a home test. However, I would recommend doing 2 tests 2 weeks apart if you want more reassurance that you aren't pregnant. If you need still more assurance, schedule a blood test with your doctor. While DP is an effective form of BC, there can still be failures as with any method... although they are rare.

Hope that helps.

I was wondering the symptons that i would go through if i was found to be pregnant on the birth control Depo.

Well, its hard to say...actually if by the very very SLIM chance you were pregnant BEFORE starting the depo shot you probably wouldnt find out until you felt fetal movement (at 16 wks aprox) unless you took a pregnancy test because the "symptoms" can be very similar...and if there is no chance that you were in that "week" of pregnancy where a test wouldn't show positive prior to starting the Shot chances of becoming pregnant ON depo are really pretty much non-existant....Depo is SO good at preventing pregnancy woman will take an EXTRA 3 months after stopping Depo before they are able to concieve after (ie 6 months since last shot) SO I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

i was supposed got get my depo shot jan but i did not me and my husband have sex on a reg basis 2-3 times a day and i have gained 20 lbs sense jan and sick and all the signs of pg what are the chances i am

Hi, I just received my depo shot about 4 day ago but recently me and my husband decided to try for a baby!  What can I do to get pregnant on depo?

Detox you're body will help rid it faster than 3 months.

I had a friend , her sister and myself get negative results on tests while being pregnant on depo. The best advice is to call your dr and ask for a sonogram plus blood test. I even got negative on my blood test results they did a heart beat test and sonogram sure enough I was pregnant. My friends sister believed the negative test results went into labor 8 months later had a little girl unprepared. My friend believed the tests til she was really showing and the baby was moving. So if you feel like you are having symptoms go see a doctor.

Hi i was just readimg your answer on the blood test thing i have a question i was on depo in june till sept which is when i was to recieve my next shot i didnt go but i had period every month but january and febuary but i took a bld test and it was negative i have a son nd when i was pregnamt with him it came back positive can u twllme ur experience email me at 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Was there any birth defects?

If I HAD UNPERTECTED SEX WITH MY PARTNER 2 DAY BEFORE MY DEPO SHOT IS DUE IS THERE A POSSIBLY THAT I COULD BE PREGNANT?