I have to say that I am really confused. I vas suspicious that I might be pregnant so I took the test. It was positive, so I went to get a blood test to be absolutely sure. The blood test was negative. So, I did the same thing again. Pregnancy test was positive and blood test was negative! How can this be?? I am really confused. I would like to know the difference between these two tests?

All pregnancy tests look for a special hormone in the urine or blood that is only present when a woman is pregnant and this hormone, human chronic gonadotropin (hCG), is also called the pregnancy hormone. There are two types of pregnancy tests - blood and urine tests and both tests look for the presence of hCG. To find out if they are pregnant many women use a urine test, or home pregnancy test. They don't cost a lot and are easy to use. There are two types of blood tests you can get from a health care provider, a quantitative and a qualitative blood test. A quantitative blood test (or the beta hCG test) measures the exact amount of hCG in the blood and it can pick up very small amounts of hCG. This makes it a very accurate test. A qualitative hCG blood test gives a simple yes or no answer to whether you are pregnant and in terms of its accuracy this test is more like a urine test. Only those drugs that have the pregnancy hormone hCG in them can give a false positive test result. This means that tests says you are pregnant when you actually are not. Now, when it comes to your case, I can not tell you what the cause was because I don't know what kind of tests you were using.

Hello. 

There is a huge possibility that your home pregnancy test was giving you a false result. Girls very often do make a mistake when they are choosing their pregnancy test, and that is why you should choose one wisely.

WHY???

Because some pregnancy tests have a lower sensitivity level than others, which means that those tests will be able to detect hCG in your urine early on in your pregnancy. So, you should know that before using a home pregnancy test, also check the expiration date and read the instructions completely. Wait for 10 minutes maximum when you do that because within 10 minutes you can see some changes. 

I also have heard that there are some chances that this can happen if you were using some medications while you were doing those tests, but I can't tell since I never had problems with it.

Last week I was feeling fairly frumpy, as I have been struggling for a few months trying to lose some weight! I have had very upset stomach, back pain and nausousness for a few months and my fantastic GP has run a number of tests to try and work out what is wrong with me. Most of the results have come back normal with only inflamation showing up as high in the blood tests, hence the back pain and stoffness in my joints. We put it down to a virus and have been monitoring any changes I have had. I have been eating very healthily with lots of fruit and salades and very little carbs and fat, however my weight has continued to climb!

I went back on Wednesday with all of the symptons back and feeling fairly ill and was asked to do another pregnancy test just to rule this out of the equation. I took one at hom and to my utter disbelief it came pack as positive and I really could not have been mistaken as it was one of the ones that spells it out PREGNANT!!!! I got upset and went back to the doctors where they did a blood test and told me I would have the results on Friday. I went home feeling very nervous and decided that as I had 2 tests left I would do another that evening and the 3rd in the morning both came back preganant! So you can imagine I was pretty sure what the results would be from the bl;ood test however the blood test came back negative!!!!!!!!!

The box of tests say Supported by GP's and 99.9% accurate! Was I really the 0.1% where it shows incorrectly or is there a mediacl condition that tells your body you are when you are not?!?!?! Is this why I am putting on weight?!?!?!?!

THERE MUST BE AN ANSWER!

what are drugs that have the pregnancy hormone hCG in them and can give a false positive test result?

I am in the same situation as all of you I took four to five home pregnancy tests all came back positive-home pregnancy tests were all first morning urine but when I had a blood test done this Tuesday it came back negative and then took another one locally which today was also negative. The OB/GYN took a fetal doppler yesterday to my abdomen and had heard the heart beating and said this was early because it usually doesn't happen until the 10th week and told me congratulations. He told me that he would call me back with the results and unfortuanetly came back negative but still can feel the heart beating on my left side and other places also. What is going on here and do I just don't have enough pregnancy hormone or am I just not pregnant even though I have had all of the symptoms such as softening of the uterus, breast tenderness, fullness, tingling, nausea but no vomiting, fatigue and tired. Do I just need to go see another doctor or just wait to see if I gain weight to confirm I am pregnant? I was watching a show on the Health Channel yesterday and one lady didn't know she was pregnant until the 13th week could that possibly be? I am anxious and weary of all these unanswered questions and disappointments because I have went out of my way to prepare for a baby!!! My body is also showing signs in my belly, unable to fasten my buttons of my shorts and pants, and pooched out stomach. I just feel pregnant and am very disappointed about the whole thing!! Is anyone else in the same situation as myself? Do I need to purchase another home pregnancy test and take it to the doctor myself? I need help and answers!!!
Thank You. ?

I feel for all of you. It must be terribly frustrating to not be able to get a true answer on such an important part of your life.

Drugs that have the pregnancy hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG), such as Pregynl, Profasi, Pergonal, APL in them can cause incorrect results in home pregnancy tests. The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) in them may be responsible for the false positive pregnancy test. If you have had an HCG shot due to infertilty treatments, you need to be sure the shot is out of your system before you attempt to use early pregnancy tests.

For accuracy in home pregnancy tests it is essential that you read the test results in the stipulated reaction time. If you let the test sit for too long (after the instructions on the box tell you), the test is invalid. This may cause it to show false positive results.

Also, there are some medical conditions that can cause false positives. Ovarian cysts are one. Certain rare medical conditions such as trophoblastic disease, islet-cell tumors. Certain forms of cancer, such as choriocarcinoma (an extremely rare type of cancer usually found in the uterus) can cause an elevation in hCG levels as well as certain types of breast, ovarian or testicular cancer leading to a false positive result.

Some drugs like Methadone, chlordiazepoxide, or promethazine can give a false positive pregnancy test.

If you get an early positive result and then get your period soon after, you may also have had what's called a "chemical pregnancy." That means a fertilized egg implanted in your uterus and developed just enough to start producing hCG but then stopped developing for some reason. This happens with about 30 to 50 percent of all fertilized eggs because they're abnormal or otherwise incapable of developing into and surviving as an embryo. If this is the case, you'll go on to get your period (though it may be a little heavier and a few days later than usual). When pregnancy tests were less sensitive than they are today, these so-called "chemical pregnancies" were never identified. Many practitioners think that's another good reason to wait until a week after your period is due to perform a home pregnancy test.

An ectopic pregnancy can give you either a positive or negative result on a pregnancy test. Call your practitioner right away if you have any abdominal pain or abnormal bleeding, no matter what a pregnancy test tells you.

These are some valuable websites with invaluable information:

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/positive-negative.html

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/falsepositive.html

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/false-positive-pregnancy-test.shtml

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/preconception/gettingpregnant/2029.html#5

carman68, I wanted to make a statement specifically for your situation. I know this is hard, but I doubt that the heartbeat that your doctor heard was that of a baby. The mother's heartbeat can be heard very clearly through a doppler. And he is right, you cannot usually hear it until at the very least 9 weeks. It is possible to feel your own pulse from the main artery that runs to the uterus. But until you know for absolute sure, you need to treat your body properly, just in case. (I think you may need a vaginal ultrasound for a definite positive and actually SEE the baby.)

Blessings.

I'm going through a similar situaltion it makes me feel like im going mad. Iv had at least 6 home test all negative. So im waiting for the result from by blood test ill get it tuesday. I feel pregnant Iv had spotting and bleeding for one day then a watery blood for 4 days, by boobs are bigger and nipples, my stomach is tort, iv had stomach and back pains. Felt dizzy two that has lasted 20mins. Had norsea only once that lasted 1 hour. Iv been really sensitive one min im crying next min im ok. Feeling tired and little headacks. I cant understand why we lisen to people who can not start to understand how it feels. My advice to everybody and myself is look after your body, and what ever happens, happens, may be we'r not ment to know till later, just relax i know how it feels, and its nice to know others know how I feel to.

If I am pregnant im going to right the biggies sign PREGNANCY TEST DO NOT WORK, on every bill boad in every city.

As soon as you say I think im pregnant to someone "I feel pregnant but had test which are negative" people say its in your head!!!! How rude.

My situation, is a sorry sate, im 25 been going out with my xx boyfriend 3 year broke up with him in June met a man he's 22 not a man really, well anyway met him at work. We got on really good at first but he could comit to me and there's his x in the picture to, well soon when she gets back from france. Anyway i went on holiday last week had a c**p hol told him how bad it was, I had no suport at all of the girls who I went away with about the pregancy thing, tried to make me drink every nite bulled me, but didnt have one drink. Got back from hol on the monday met him monday nite and told him how bad it was then he broke up with me. I didnt cry just went silent shocked, I broke up with my x for him and broke his heart. I had been saying to him that I think im pregnant but cus iv had the negative test he's never beileved me. So told him agian after he broke up with me and still didnt even tho my body is changing. He siad that I should have a abortion because I should want a baby with someone who wants to be with me. I was so shocked, I got out of the car and didnt say anything; my heart broken. I replied few days later my txt, saying how that hurt me because, 'I want to be with him and I cant help whats happened have some compassion'. Did another test yest and this morning and negative im leaving it now told him its negative need to move on. And by the way I told him that if I was pregnant im keeping the the baby, and I mean that, im strong. He never needs to know if I am seeing that he wanted to kill it, and never loved me.
ill let you know what happens.
thanks for reading this message. all my love Kate.

i have the same issue. i feel awful: pain in back, feeling like i have to vomit, tummy pains and the whole nine. i took five test and they all came back negative and now i just got some blood work done. i find out tommorrow if it is positive.

Im not sure if it will. it has only been 10 days since i had unprotected sex. the weird part is that it was a few days before my period, which only lasted three days and was spotty and only bled for one day.

will keep u posted.

Iv just got my blood test back today negative, I think I know whats happening. Firstly with the home test, well I was speaking to a nurse and she said that the home test tell you if you'v missed a period, but if you have irregular periods like me, they will all be negative till your period should be. So you can still be pregnant and feel pregnant and have a negative result, because you'v tested to soon. I know its hard to get your head around seeing that iv already had bleeding, but just for one day, ower bodies are so complex.

But also Iv spoke to a doctor about the home test and he said that its to do with the lining that the baby is in, in other words if your pregnant it should tell you by the homons in your wee caused by the lining forming.

Anyway the blood test came out negative like I said, but this is because iv been too quick to test for it, I though that i was 6 to 7weeks but I must be more like 3 or 4weeks.

We are just people who really know ower bodies, dont let anyone tell you different if you know the result will come positive soon.
just relax!!!!
ill let you know what happens. take care

thanks for sharing, please let me know how it goes!

i just got mine back today. It came back neg.

I am taking it rather hard. meanwhile, i still feel like c**p!

since its not showing in my blood, that means i shouldn't really have any of the sickness i was describing earlier,so i am guessing its a flu or somethign close to it.

i really do still think i could be, but at this point, im forced just to let nature take it course and wait it out. much easier said than done.

Hi, I just wanted to share. My period is about 6 weeks late, I have all the symptoms. My breast are bigger and tender than normal, I don't feel as nauseated as I did 2 weeks ago but my lower abdomen area still feels weird, headaches, extra saliva, extra extra discharge (but no odor) etc. I took a home test and blood test 3 weeks ago, both negative. Then I went to the doctor early this week and she told me it could be stress and all this weight gain blah blah, then she sent me for more blood test. Being impatient, I took a blood test today, negative. What is going on? My friends tell me its just stress and its in my mind. I am loosing it, and I really want to cry because I am confused and I hate not knowing. My body feels different and I don't think its my mind. I want someone to believe me!!!! Thanks for listening, I'm holding back tears now.

I am not trying to dismiss your aniety about this stiuation, I just want to tell you what happened once to me, and then you will have the info.

Twice in my life I have missed periods for a while without pregnancy. Once for three months, and the other for 6 months! I went 6 months without a period, only to find out that the doc was right, ridiculous as it sounded. I didn't believe her when she told me that I had missed my period for so long due to stress from a move across country 6 months earlier. But she was right, there was no pregnancy. I kept having all of the pg tests come up negative and also two blood tests were neg. It is very distressng, but it can happen.

It is esp. hard if you want to be PG. Good luck and blessings.

I took a home pregnancy test on sunday evening and it was positive. I went to my medical providers office and took a second pregnancy test that was neutral. They nurse did a second test and it was positive. I went in for my first prenatal appointment on Thursday. The midwife did a vaginal ultrasound and there was nothing in my uterus. Then they passed me off to the OB in the building and he did a second vaginal ultrasound on the 3d/4d machine. The result was the same as the first only he found a small cyst on my ovary. I went to have the standard prenatal blood work done and that was to include the quantitative HCG test. I called Friday morning to find out the results and was told the blood work needed to be repeated in 48 hours. Why do I have to repeat the blood work?