I will begin with my current symptoms and go from there. I'm sorry if I don't make sense, as it is very difficult to concentrate feeling this way.

I am a 22 year old female, have been having symptoms since October of 2009, just as I started school. This weird feeling that I can only describe as weird head feeling, is a combination of dizzy and lightheaded at the same time. I first experienced it about a month after a small car accident (35-40 mph), where I hit the left side of my head on the window, whiplash, etc. I was in physical therapy for my back when it first happened, laying on a large balance ball. The room started spinning and I became completely disoriented. Things have never been the same since.

That was at it's most intense. Symptoms lasted for a couple weeks, I couldn't drive (when I'd stop at a light I still felt like I was going), changing lanes took more mental work than imaginable, along with blurry vision; it was impossible. It would subside and then begin again, every 4, then 3, then 2 months apart. Until now, where it's mild-moderate on a daily basis. Along the years, nausea developed; no vomiting but still pretty strong (cannot stand scented anything), the vision changes; include blurryness and sensitivity to light (but harder to see with sunglasses). It's become extremely difficult (to now impossible) to concentrate, literally think. I guess it's like brain fog, I just feel so stupid. Can't remember anything. Greatly (negatively) affected school performance. Also a heavy head like feeling and neck pain that makes symptoms worse. Laying down/sleeping also worsens symptoms. There's probably more that I'm missing, but again, it's very hard to think clearly.

I've been to several doctors and specialists, but not one can put it all together. I can't remember all the tests that I've had done but MRI (1 neurologist looked at it, said it was fine, gave me Lorazepam, I got addicted to it, they cut me off= worsened psychological condition), ENG (where they put cold/hot air in each ear; made my symptoms at their worst; test came back fine though?), EKG; normal. GI for the nausea, anti acids didn't help), got tested for Lyme disease; came back negative. And a bunch of blood tests, a year ago it was low iron, and for a year now it's been low Vitamin d levels.

I have no idea what to do. I am so discouraged and feel like c**p 100% of the time, every single day. I feel physically worse after eating, but it's never too consistent. Coffee, chocolate, fast food, soda, pasta with tomato sauce, toast with peanut butter and honey (weird), do make them worse. I was tested for Celiac/gluten something but my doctor said it came back fine. Currently awaiting allergist appt. From researching my symptoms though, allergies/intohlerances are so complex that it would be extremely difficult to make such lifestyle changes without really knowing for sure.

I do have other health problems that may or may not have anything to do with this. They include fainting; childhood to current; down to a couple times a year though now. Stomache aches after eating until late early high school; also still there somewhat but greatly subsided. An odd year of migranes when I was 15, and again for a few months at 19. And depression for over 10 years. All of these symptoms, as bad as they were/are, do not compare to the hell I am going through right now. I had to withdraw from school, can't work anymore, can barely drive; don't unless I really have to; for appts. And it's only getting worse.

I really hope someone can relate in some way and please help me get well from this. Thank you for reading.

HI,sorry for the misery these symptoms caused you and yet still in the air looking for answers.Have you considered the possibility of seeing TMJ doctor.(he is like a dentist but specialized in TMJ)Temporomandibular joint disorder has the same symptoms like yours and they will test you if you have.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. Do you have similar symptoms or TMJ disorder? I am trying to narrow down and figure out the best tests to get done/specialists to see for my next doctors appt., from other forums and am discouraged that nobody has gotten answers and all the testing comes out normal. The last doctor I saw told me she thought it was either a food allergy or a brain tumor. I had skin tests done for everything imaginable and the only one that came back positive was house dust. I didn't do any other testing, so I still think it could be an intolerance or long term gluten allergy. My next option is to get an MRI but I had one in 2010 and don't know if it's possible that it changed since I felt that way then and it came out normal. I hate feeling this way so much and feel like giving up. I'm starting school next week and have no idea if I made a mistake because I cannot concentrate at all.

Hi isk22! Just wanted to say ....Never give up. Keep searching for an answer as I am in the same position. As of Jan 2008, I am continuously looking for answers to my symptoms. My story...I had a terrible episode at the gym after doing sit-ups w weights..all of sudden when I stood up - I got lightheaded, dry mouth, spinning dizziness, disoriented at the gym. I immediately went to the ER and was diagnosed with dehydration. Ever since then …. On a daily basis, I fight off a mild feeling like I am about to faint. Including common ones that you are going through like brain fogginess, “woozy”, floating sensations, numbness and tingling in my right arm and right leg, extreme fatigue, having difficult time in large crowds, around loud noise, light sensitivity, heavy feeling chest and horrible hyperacusis..I can hear a pin drop. I have gone to several doctors for Dx'ing (neurologist, cardiologist, otologist, otolaryngologists..list goes on) and had all sorts of testings and each Dr. comes up with something different...1st Dr. BPPV, 2nd Dr. diagnosed me w/ Perilymph Fistula (surgery required) and 3rd Dr. ...MAV (migraine associated vertigo) he believes nothing is wrong w/ my inner ear and the 4th Dr. says..he just don't know because my symptoms are all over the place. So I am going through testing AGAIN w/ the 4th Dr. He seems more willing to work w/ me for better Dxing and esp since he is the first to test my bloodwork further for other diseases as Lyme's and mineral levels. I just really hate to go through the ENG test again. I literally could not complete the test due to I vomit all over the place...ughhh! Anyways....at this point, since majority of my testings have come up NORMAL (ENG - abnormal due to incomplete testing)....I realize that the symptoms are either coming from my brain or inner ear(s) so my goal has been to narrow down which one. This has been a LONG Journey for me and lots of mixed emotions, but sites like this has really helped me to find comfort in knowing that I am not alone and have not gone CRAZY! One thing I learned from another site that I found very positive to keep in mind is that right now it's "life altering" vs. "life threatening". So sending good wishes your way and I pray all turns out well.

I am a 29 year old female and for the past few months I have been feeling tired, weak, light headed ( all the time almost to the point of about to pass out), light head aches that only last a few minutes, I feel nervous, and I have blurry vision in my right eye, I feel out of sorts like I am not really here, and it is really hard for me to concentrate( which is really hard for me because I just started school this past February). I also have noticed that it is really hard for me to get motivated to do anything anymore, all I want to do is lye around the house and do nothing, which is odd for me because I used to never be like this. I really need help. I just wish I knew what was going on.

IZZYLAD wrote:

isk22 wrote:

Hi IZZYLAD, thank you for your positivity and encouragement. Good luck with your newest doctor, and please let us know of any updates on your condition. My newest symptoms in addition to all the ones since my first post 2 months ago, is a whole new level of depersonalizaton. I can't even begin to understand it. I just go through the day and it's almost as if I am incapable of a thought ahead, about my life/future. I really don't understand it. Though I can definitely feel emotions; but only the sad, lonely and depressed ones. The other thing is my sleep has been all over the place. I can't fall asleep for hours; laying down makes me dizzyness/lightheaded symptoms a lot worse, and then when I do finally manage to fall asleep it is impossible for me to wake up. The grogginess is so extreme, with the body fatigue, I literally cannot wake up on my own. I'm taking a Nutrition (from a science perspective) class and from research, and have found some routine things to do to possibly reduce symptoms. They include, eating nutrient rich foods every 3-4 hours to maintain blood sugar levels. Hypogycemia does mimick some of our symptoms. I mean, really change your diet. Extremely limit or stop drinking caffiene (coffee, tea, soda) and eating chocolate and processed/fast food. I know it may seem little but trust me, it has huge benefits. Exercise of course is always recommended, I haven't/don't because it makes my symptoms worse but long term it will make your body and mind stronger, and we need that to get though this. The other thing was a good firm pillow. The way your neck is aligned, if properly, will reduce neck strain and for me anyway, my symptoms decrease when my neck isn't in so much pain/sore. I hope you try this and feel (if even a little) better. Let me know if anything else has worked for you.

Many of the symptoms you describe are symptoms of depression. Also post concussion syndrome considering the bash on the the head. I hope you get better

i have your same symptoms ,feel like im losing my mind im on adivan but the doc wants to take them from me after 9 yrs my head always feels so weird and its interfearing with my life . im a mom of 6 the youngest still home i want to be involved with her schooling but its holding me back . i wake up feeling misorable go to sleep feeling the same way . ive had a pretty rough life but anxiety can do all this help

me

melissa wrote:

isk22 wrote:

me

Hi Melissa, I am so sorry to hear what you're going though:( I cannot imagine how hard it must be to care for your children in this state. I definitely agree that stress/anxiety makes it worse, but feeling this way causes it, so it's a horrible cycle. Did your symptoms begin when you stopped taking the medication or have you been feeling this way for a while? Have you done any testing? I mentioned before how vital a good nutrient rich diet is and the benefits of consistent exercise is to the mind and body, if that's an option for you, I really think it will help if you stick to it. Really hope you feel better, please let us know if you find anything that works for you.

Have you ever been tested for POTS syndrome? I have the same symptoms as you and I am being tested for it. Google POTS syndrome.

I have no idea if this is too late or not, but I was just reviewing your post and decided to respond. I am a physical therapist and have seen patients with your symptoms. Have you tried looking into seeing an ENT? I am concerned you may have a pathology affecting the inner ear. The blow to the head during the car accident could have triggered such symptoms that were activated by the changing of positions in physical therapy. Conditions of the inner ear can cause all of the symptoms you are describing and can be very debilitating. The good news is that if correctly diagnosed, the problem can be easily treated. I hope you find your answer.

Hi Stardustedoceans, thank you for your post. I have been to an ENT, about 2 years or more ago, I was tested for Meniere's? and may have been something else-don't really remember anything anymore-and had the ENG test which made my symptoms at their worst, but both the evaluation and testing came out normal. I also went to physical therapy for the Epley maneuver first and it didn't get better so he said it wasn't vertigo. So I really don't know what do to at this point. Do you think I should get another opinion from a different ENT specialist? Is there a specific test I should ask for? And what do your patients get treated for? Thank you very much for your response. I also want to point out (in reply to an earlier post), I really don't think this is depression. These are physical symptoms in result to physical occurrences. I've had it long enough to differentiate the two, and it's the physical ones that are getting worse, in fact not giving in to the depressive thoughts is the only thing that's keeping me going.

Have you ever been on accutane? What sports did you play? Any gymnastics?
Your story sounds so familiar... Sucks!

Omg. I have the same symptoms as you! I was involved in a motor vehicle accident over a week ago. I was a sleeping on a bus and we were hit on the side by a speeding car. Today is my first doctor's appointment and I am going to make him read your post. I bashed my head on the window three times (left side). No concussion, but I still have a painful lump causing me headaches. This sounds similar because it is whiplash caused by side impact. At times I can't think. I look back at texts I have written and they are jibberish. But, the fainting feeling is quite scary. I fell the other day in my house. I'm 31, not an elderly woman! I do have spinal pain and neck pain. So, the bump on the head may not be the culprit. I am somewhat hypoglycemic and at first attributed it to that, but is a different feeling. I feel that I need to grab onto the wall and it is happening pretty frequently.

The TMJ theory is very interesting. However, I already have it. And my jaw has been tight after the accident after it being painless for quite some time. Again, these symptoms feel different than those experienced with TMJ.

One thing you may want to consider is Adrenal insufficiency. It is caused by trauma, physical and/or mental and chronic stress. Your body is kind of tapped out of adrenaline. The Adrenals are responsible for a vast amount of body functions. Also, this condition lowers immunity. You may be developing a lot of secondary problems with the Adrenals as the root cause. I have gluten sensitivity and a long list of other conditions that are seemingly unrelated to one another. People just think you are very sickly or a hypochondriac. Many physicians do not even acknowledge it as a problem unless you have the extreme form, Addison's Disease, which is a total lack of adrenal function. There are a lot of things you can do to recover, but for me it has been chronic. I currently take adrenal support supplements made of animal glands with the hormones removed. Strange, but they help a lot in maintaining better health. This is a very complex issue, not completely understood or acknowledged by Western medicine. There are tests out there, but you can also be diagnosed symptomatically.

I still want to know what is causing my neurological issues. I'm actually more worried about that than my back injury. But, thank you for the comprehensive explanation. It made perfect sense to me :)

After reading your post a second time. I'd also like to add that so many testing techniques are antiquated and not accurate in diagnosis. I was also negative for Celiac, but that still does not mean you are not gluten intolerant. I sure am! I was tested for Anemia and once saw the test results. The normal range was between something like 14 and 250 for example. I scored a 15 and the doctor said I was normal. I was not even told, "hey you are close to being iron deficient, so make sure you keep an eye on your Iron intake." Lyme Disease, Allergies and many other problems and something else you mentioned (my memory is shot as well). Sometimes the tests just aren't sensitive enough. I have not been through nearly as much testing as you. It got too frustrating, too costly, too time consuming. Any progress I have made was on my own through a lot of research, trial and error, lifestyle changes and a lot of discipline. When you experience great relief from a lifestyle change it makes it so easy to keep up with. If your condition is that terrible, you would do anything to heal yourself. I found that out many years ago when I went on a juice fast. Maybe you just need to switch your focus a bit. I have a lot of experience with Chronic Conditions and I would not wish this on my worst enemy, but maybe you can shed some light on this car accident scenario for me. The last thing I need is another health issue that affects my daily functioning!