My father is experiencing the chronic, multisystem disorder called sarcodiosis. During the time a have to get familiar with this disease in order to help him. Now, my friend also has this disease. I can’t believe that I know two people suffering from this illness. What are the chances for that? My friend has sarcoidosis of the brain. I would like to know what influence it can have on the nervous system.

All components of the nervous system can be involved in sarcoidosis. Neurological findings are observed in about 5% of patients. Seventh nerve involvement with unilateral facial paralysis is most common. It occurs suddenly and is usually transient. Other common manifestations of neurosarcoid include optic nerve dysfunction, papilledema, palate dysfunction, hearing abnormalities, chronic meningitis etc. Also the seizure occurs.

Hello there,

I am so sorry to hear that both, your father and your friend are suffering from the similar condition. Sarcoidosis autoimmune disease and this means that body is fighting non existing enemy, and this way it is attacking healthy cells and tissue.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the treatment it is possible only to treat symptoms of this condition, and not the condition itself. Most common symptom of the sarcoidosis of the brain is facial weakness. And this condition is very hard to diagnose as well. Usually the MRI is only way to be absolutely sure that patient is suffering from sarcoidosis of the brain.

I hope that your friend will find a way to cope with this condition.