Hello, folks. My cousin has brain swelling. I hear it is a serious condition and I wonder what can cause this. I would like to hear some info from you. It will mean a lot to me. Thanks in advance for reading and replying my post. I will appreciate it a lot. Bye!

Hi to you too. Brain swelling or cerebral edema is indeed a serious condition. If it isn’t treated in time, it can have serious consequences, even life threatening. Edema can be caused by various factors. Some of them are brain tumors, metabolic diseases, vascular diseases, infection, trauma and toxins. There are two types of cerebral edema – vasogenic and cytotoxic. In the first one, barrier between blood and brain is dysfunctional, so fluid passes into interstitial space. In the second one, there is a dysfunction of Na+-K+ pump, so does the Ca transport. As a result, a fluid enters the cell. In both cases astrocytes swell. I hope your brother will feel better.