Hello there everyone.

I need to know how can you recognize depression in young people and how you can help them? I am asking this because I am almost sure that one girl from my neighborhood is dealing with depression and I can recognize some signs of the depression that I was dealing with.

Now, I am not sure are those signs similar to signs of the depression that adults are dealing with, but it is important for me to know.

She is pretty much alone, she is sad all the time and she doesn't talk to anybody from the neighborhood. 

It is easy to recognize depression in almost every single person. If she doesn't want to talk to anyone, if she doesn't feel like leaving her house or doing literally anything, she is likely to be depressed. I wouldn't really try and help her on my own, teen psychologists are the people who are trained to help them. She probably has a school psychologist who would be able to help her out, but I do not know how can you make her go there. Maybe if you speak to the school psychologist and tell him about her, maybe he would invite her to talk to him?

I don't know, most teens are in some sort of depression today, if you ask me.

If someone is not talking to anyone, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that this person is depressed, it might just be asocial or is very picky when it comes to who they spend their time with. Depressed people are simply sad, they have black thoughts, they are very pessimistic and these things should be easy to notice if you try and talk to them. But be careful if you try and do so: if you don't know how to talk to someone suffering from depression, then don't do it.

Teens who are depressed easily get irritated and they easily get angry (this is why it gets to be easy to notice for parents if their kids are depressed since they are living in the same house). They are sad most of the time, they don't leave the house a lot or at all and they tend to cry quite often. They are going to be bad at school or they are even going to skip classes pretending to be ill or something when the truth is that they just don't want to go to school, they don't want to socialize or do any activities.

Others have already told you about how to notice if a teen is suffering from depression. I am afraid that treating depression or simply somehow helping these teens is a lot harder than it is to notice that these teens are suffering from depression.

The person who wrote above me that said that you shouldn't talk to this girl if you don't know how to handle people who are depressed is absolutely right. You are likely to just make things even worse so I wouldn't do it if I were you. If she really is depressed, she needs professional help, a psychologist.

Like others already told you, it is not that hard to recognize when person is depressed, it is not hard to notice that someone is dealing with mental issues, especially in teens. For example, you will notice this if this person doesn't have interest in anything or if that person just doesn't want to hang out with the rest of the people. Another thing that is really good sign is low energy that depressed people have. Also, they are not concentrated on anything. Maybe you should try to talk to this girl. I am not saying that you should try to be her parent (because you can't), but you should definitely let her know that someone understands her. Because, I believe that you do.

Hi.

I have to agree with the Guest who wrote that teens are really depressed lately and I believe that nobody doesn't know what is the main reason for it...

Who knows, maybe this girl has some problems and maybe she is really depressed, but if you ask me, first relationship that ends in the teens is not a reason for depression. 

Another thing, I don't agree that you should talk to her and you should not try to find out why she is depressed. You are nothing to her and you should not try to do that without the knowledge of her parents...

Kids and teens can definitely be depressed for no reason. Sometimes, they are doing this because of the attention, sometimes they think that they are depressed and that is why they avoid communication with the rest of the world, and some of them can really be depressed. But, it is easy to recognize. Every teen wants to have an attention and wants to be with someone important to him/her. If she doesn't want to hang out with anyone, maybe that is not a sign of depression. Maybe it is something else. But, I also do agree that you should not do anything because parents can have problem with you. You can for example say hi to her every time when you see her and maybe she will find a friend in you. Who knows...