I have reasons to believe that my 2 year old is allergic to milk. She hasn’t been showing any symptoms before but for the last two weeks she had problems with bloating, gas and abdominal pain after having milk. However, she didn’t have any problems with yogurt, so I am a bit confused here. What should I do? Are the symptoms I mentioned typical symptoms of dairy foods allergy? Thank you

I would rather say that your child is lactose-intolerant. These were the symptoms I had when diagnosed. Lactose intolerant people are sensitive to lactose—milk sugar as they don’t have enough enzyme that digests milk sugar. I can also eat yogurt. This is because the bacteria in yogurt products consume most of the lactose as soon as the yogurt moves from the stomach to the intestines. These bacteria often break down the lactose before the lactose-intolerant person has a chance to react to it. This is how I recognized your child might be lactose intolerant as well. The symptoms of lactose intolerance are bloating, abdominal pain, gas, and diarrhea. Milk allergy symptoms would be typical food allergy symptoms like skin rashes or hives, gastrointestinal distress, breathing problems, and others.

Good advice from Marley. Quit the cow's milk and try rice milk, soy milk, even goat's milk might work. My mom's lactose intolerant but can still eat yogurt. :-)