Hello, folks. My brother was discovered cilantro allergy. I must admit that this sounds very unusual for me. I would like to know what common symptoms of this kind of allergy are. Can anyone tell me this? I will really appreciate if someone can answer me. Thanks in advance. Bye, folks!

Hi, there. My neighbor has been having cilantro allergies for years. In the beginning, he didn’t know what was wrong with him. His symptoms were serious. They would begin with burning sensation in his tongue. He would get hives. After that, he would start vomiting and later he would get diarrhea. Since he stopped eating meals with cilantro, he hasn’t had these symptoms any more. I hope your brother will be better too. It is good that he has discovered the cause of his symptoms.

Well,
I know that allergy to cilantro is classified as a food allergy. To be honest with you I only once heard that someone has cilantro allergy, and this was my friend’s friend for the job. It is a little strange to know that you have allergy to this but now at least he know and he can be careful when he eats. The reaction is not always the same but he has to be careful because this plant is really located in a lot of dishes. I think that his allergy will first be noticed in his Mouth. I hope that this helped you and your brother in any possible way.

Good luck,
Karel

I believe I have an allergy to cilantro. I haven't had it proven by a doctor but on one occasion after eating a good amount of cilantro on a fish dinner I woke the next morning with a swollen lip and tingling. I took about 24hrs to go away. Last night I ate it again and my lips were tingle. I took Benedryl right away so it didn't get worse but today my lips feel like they are chapped like in the winter of sunburned. I can think of worse allergies. I will just keep benadryl on hand for these occasions from now on.

I have cilantro allergies as well, unfortunately mine are severe.

They've built up over time.

At first, I had severe cramps and nausia. Now I have heart palpitations, severe blood pressure drop, rapid pulse, and risk death whenever I'm around it.

I can not stress the threat of cilantro if you're allergic to it.

I believe I have some kind of allergic reaction to cilantro though nothing as serious as Guest from 3/15/13 . I do not get hives, or have swelling, rashes or cramps. After twelve hours of ingesting it I become severely naseous and end up vomiting everything in my stomach. I usually try not to eat it, I do not even like the smell of it, though yesterday I had a memory lapse and ate a delicious quesadilla that was sprinkled generously with it. Even though I still didn't like the smell of it, I couldn't taste it, so I ate it.  I wish I hadn't.  It is less than 24 hours since I was ill and I'm still wiped out. And I have no desire to to eat much of anything.

I was diagnosed with a cilantro allergy several years ago.  It is important to know that coriander is the seed of cilantro so if you're allergic to one you are to the other.  Coriander is commonly used in all types of curry powder and some Thai seasonings such as green curry paste.  I go into anaphylatic shock now, in the beginning it was just hives and diarrhea.  It is difficult eating out as most people just think that you don't like the taste and brush it off as impossible.  I have met a few other people that are allergic, I wonder if more people are, but just think that ethnic food upsets their stomach. Anyway it is serious, and I wish that labeling on prepared foods would be more precise, I always avoid anything with the word "spices".

I have severe reactions to both. In Los Angeles it limits meals out. Two nights ago the wife made a salad to go along with our chicken.

She used whole leaves and stems. Tossed in among the spinach leaves, I missed it,,,,,,

I took a healthy forkful and started chewing. Knew immediately I was in trouble. The fiery, burnt, oily soapy taste hit the roof

of my mouth and tongue. Swelling of the lips and tongue, following day hives and vomiting, diarrhea. 

Just this evening I'm starting to feel better. Still have that rotten taste in my mouth though.

Same thing with parsley and fresh mint.

Death to Cilantro!

My cilantro allergy at first only showed itself as a burning sensation in my tongue. This does not occur if the cilantro is cut up very fine, only when the cilantro is in larger pieces and I happen to break open some of the juice when I chew. Since I never bought fresh cilantro before I didn't know about the rash until I made homemade pico de gallo this year. I was cutting it up fine (because the store-bought pico has pieces that are too large) and when I finished cutting I had a red rash on my thumb and forefinger of my left hand (my right hand held the knife.) Now I cut it up in a bowl using kitchen shears and I don't handle it while I'm cutting. This works fine. I avoid the rash by not touching any of the cut pieces and I avoid the burning in my mouth by eating only pieces that are already cut fine. When I encounter larger pieces in a restaurant, I simply pull those out and place them to the side. Your neighbor is the only person I ever heard of that had the same symptom of burning of the tongue or mouth. I don't get the vomiting or diarrhea. It only tastes like I ate a very hot chili pepper. (By the way, the heat from jalapenos don't bother me at all.)

I too get nausea and vomiting from cilantro, and just the smell of it makes me sick. I am diligent, if there is a chance I always ask if there is cilantro in the food at a restaurant. I can taste it immediately, so I can avoid it all the time. I have never gotten hives or swelling from it though, just mostly vomiting.

My 8 year old was helping make salsa from our fresh cilantro palnt. She was pulling leafs off...she said getting dizzy, stomach cramps and then vomited. Does this sound like an allergy?

Cilantro begins by numbing my tongue and continues to my throat with anaphlylaxis following if there is no epi pen handy. I can not even be in a room in which cilantro is being chopped.

So, I had a quesadilla with cilantro in it for dinner. I woke up around 5 am vomiting and haven't stopped for about 4 hours. It also led to diarrhea, and I'm wondering if it is possible that I'm allergicto cilantro? Everytime I vomit, it's just leaves and stems of cilantro.

Id like to know more about how this allergy has built up over time.
I never knew I had a reaction to cilantro until recent years, the main thing in after eating is very quickly I may get small bumps on my lips or in mouth. Nothing else but this occurs and I may take a Benedryl but often do not. I am wondering if I should see a doctor or be concerned that the allergy could get worse.
God I hope not, I love me Mexican food

I recently found that I had a severe reaction to a cilantro soup that I had been eating regularly. Burning through my colon as if I'd eaten a thousand jalapenos. I came close to scheduling a colonoscopy thinking that other issues were at bay. In a final attempt to alleviate the pain of going #2 I went on a liquid diet that included this cilantro soup. It was so apparent that this was the cause. I've been cilantro free for 4 days and feel normal again. I've probably been slightly allergic for years and never knew until I'd eaten it in a more concentrated form.