I would like an answer to my question how common is red dye allergy. My husband is 45 years old and it seems that he has stomach problems every time he eats something that contains red dye, and I am afraid there is a lot of food that satisfy that criteria.

You are right about that. There are so many conditions and illnesses out there for which we do not have any clues, and this allergy is one of those. My son is allergic to red dye I have to admit that it sounds stupid, but that is how it is. And this does not apply only to food; it includes materials, medications, inks, all sorts of things and he is only 20 years old.

I too have digestive problems when it comes to eating anything with red dye 40. I have noticed the pattern the past few years and it worries me. I first though it was just in drinks but now I notice its in almost anything with color. I made some great ribs last week and learned the hard way that some BBQ sauce has dye in it. I now check the back of everything to see if red dye is in the ingredients

I have been to three specialists to no avail, not one of them could find a solution to my stomach problems. We started to keep track of what I was eating and drinking and my husband noticed everytime I ate something with red dye 40 in it I had a terrible reaction to it. Have tried not to eat anything with the red dye 40 in it, but its almost impossible, can't believe even some chewing gum has it. Wish there was a little pill I could take! Over a period of a year I have lost 45 pounds.

I too have digestive problems with red dye 40. Not sure if you are aware, but most red meat has the dye in it. Not only do I have a problem with the red dye, I am unable to eat any pasta or pizza and can't figure out why. At first I thought I had an intolerance to gluten, but have even tried gluten free pasta to no avail. Its just terrible what is in our foods.