Hello, folks. My grandfather was administrated to the hospital. He is chronic alcoholic and he was diagnosed Korsakoff’s syndrome. I would like to know how the doctors will help him there. What does the treatment consist of? Thank you in advance for all your replies to my post. Your replies will mean a lot to me.

Hi, there. Korsakoff’s syndrome is caused by the lack of vitamin B1 or thiamine. It is very common among alcoholics. The treatment of choice is intravenous administration of thiamine. If this condition is treated early, many signs and symptoms can be removed. If it isn’t recognized on time, permanent damages to the brain may occur. Supplementation of electrolytes is also very important, especially magnesium and potassium. Glucose should not be administrated since it can exhaust the reserves of thiamine in the organism and thus impair the condition of the patient. Abstinence of alcohol consuming is a must! Balanced diet is also advisable. I hope your grandfather will feel better.