Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

I am a 50 year old male, i would class my self as reasonably healthy and fit, I excersie regularly and are not overweight.
My problem seems to be an alcohol related problem that has been gradually getting worse every year i get older.
approx 10 years ago if i had a real big weekend on the beer for example after a boys weekend away that would involve drinking for 3 to 4 days in a row, i would start suffering from what i thought was a congested sinus problem, i would be continually sniffing and snorting to try and clear it, it wold get that bad that i could not sleep due to the uncontrollable need to sniff.
it would start 1 to 2 days from when i stopped drinking and would take about 4 to 5 days to get back to normal.
now it is at the point that if i have just one big night on the alcohol i will suffer the symptoms i just mentioned.
I have been to every conceivable specialist about this, ENT specialist (2 separate ones) allergist, GP, hypnotist, Naturopath, all without a clear diagnosis of what the problem is. My ENT specialists says there is absolutely nothing wrong with me and he was putting it in the "too hard basket" it has also been suggested that it may be a stress or anxiety related problem. I have a happy family life and enjoy my job (can be stressfull at times, but you would expect that from many jobs) so i dont really subscribe to that theory. I know people will just say just give it up, but my family do enjoy a very social lifestyle and enjoy having a drink with friends, i do not drink at all during the week, and are not drinking anymore than i was 15 years ago before it was a problem, so why is it getting worse with age? could it be some sort of compulsive muscular disorder?

I know it sounds like i am waffling on here, it is just so frustrating to not be able to get an answer as to why i suffer from this and not others who enjoy a drink.

Loading...

You may have been allergic to one or more of the fermentation products found in alcoholic beverages. Antihistamine may be helpful.
Reply

Loading...

Hi,

I have the exact same thing happen to me when I drink. It's something in the alcohol that does it. The stronger the beer, the worse I get. I would say it is an allergy.

A friend of mine on the ambulance also suffers from an allergy to beer, his allergist can't figure out what though, so we make a good team.

Usually I'm the designated driver. It doesn't bother me a bit. A 6 pack of Coke is a lot cheaper than beer anyways.
Reply

Loading...

Thanks for the replies guys,
is it feasible to not be allergic to something the gradually over time develop an allergic reaction to it?
most posts you read about reactions/intolerance to alcohol are from when they first start.
Reply

Loading...

Actually, the most common scenario is just as you describe. For example, penicillin. Lots of us had it as kids and now are allergic.

Bees are another. On most of the calls I see about bee stings and anaphylaxis, the patient is saying I've been stung before and this never happened.

It's usually not the first time as your body has to make antigens to make the antibodies to fight the allergen.

Hope that helps, Dan
Reply

Loading...

Well allergies work that way. If you develop some allergies when your are young, you think that is that. But through our life we still can become allergic to something. For instance, when you get sting by bee several times, many people then become allergic to bees. Not before, but after.
I have an uncle that has been stinged by the bees several times, and the doctor told him, that if he got stinged one more time, that can be mortal for him.
Reply

Loading...

Yeah, I agree with what others have posted here. It appears to me that you have developed an allergy to beer and it's going to be difficult for you to drink without experiencing symptoms. It looks like you mentioned only beer though and not other forms of alcohol at least as far as I can tell. Do you have the same reaction with say vodka or whiskey? I know that I seem to have more issues with beer than virtually any other alcohol.
Reply

Loading...

Yes this is a good question. What about other alcohol drinks? And also what about different tips of beer? Keep us posted on your condition.
I understand that this must b frustrating for you but try to find some replacement for beer, or if you are not allergic to other alcoholic drinks, try alcohol free beer.
Reply

Loading...

update, i have give up all alcohol for a month now and my problem has not gone away, it has only been slightly better, i am wondering is this a stress related muscular disorder? should i be referred to a neuroligist? i feel much better on weekends away from work, but once i am back at work it starts to get worse.
Reply

Loading...

Hi markph, it is good to hear from you again.
Good thing is that you stopped drinking alcohol, and that you are getting little better. Stress can be the thing that is causing your problems. If you feel better on weekends when you do not work and just relax, you might found what is causing your problem.
Reply

Loading...

Thanks Dark_red for the reply.
As I said last post, the abstinance from alcohol only slightly improved the situation which would suggest to me that even though alcohol consumption does make it worse, the root cause of the problem is not alcohol but some other cause.
Even though I dont really feel that I am stressed, I wonder why the closer to the weekend it gets the more it feels better, even when I was drinking on weekends it was better on weekends and only got worse during the week.
I am really thinking about asking my GP to refer me to a Neuroligist.
I have read a lot about medication that can be used for muscular disorders and think it would be worth getting checked out, even if it is to just rule out a muscular problem.
Reply

Loading...

markph, I think that is a very good idea to be honest. It is good that you were able to rule out one of the factors but if it's not what's causing the problems then move on to another one! I think you should at least seen allergist about this, and maybe a neurologist would help too. But I would see the allergist first. Let me know. Keep me posted on how you're doing okay?
Reply

Loading...

thanks healthnfitnessguy,
I did not mention that i did see an allergist early on when it was getting worse, the only thing that he found was a minor dust mite allergy, (isnt everyone allergic to dust)?? I went on a desensitization program for almost 2 years, what that fixed was the hayfever and sneezing symptons that i commonly had, but had no affect on my feeling of congestion. I am really thinking it wont hurt to see a neuroligist, may cost me a few bucks but at least it will be another avenue explored.
Reply

Loading...

Hi Mark,
If you really want to see a Neurologist ask your doctor to send you to one. I think that this can only benefit you, and you can't lose anything with this. Stress is a powerful tool and it can make people sick in many ways. When are you seeing your doctor again? I'm interested in what Neurologist has to say about your condition. I hope that he will be able to help you.
And yes I think most of us is allergic to dust. I know I am. :-)
Reply

Loading...

I am going to make an appointment with my GP tomorrow and ask him to refer me to one,
not sure what his thoughts on it will be, but he has been open to all my previous suggestions. eg, hypnotherapy (failed) accupuncture (failed) naturopath (failed) allergist (failed) 2nd opinion from first ENT (failed) second opinion from new ENT (failed) sooner or later i gotta have some luck, its driving me crazy!
Reply

Loading...