Im just now in my fourth week of my pregnancy, and I hear that it's in the first try-mester that you are at the most risk of a miscarriage. What I would like to know is what are some precautions I can take to avoid a miscarriage? Please help!

Hi Alabamagurl, Congratulations! I don't want to sound insensitive here, but if your body decides to spontaneously abort (miscarry) a pregnancy, there is very little you can do about it. However, that being said, there are a lot of things you can do to give your baby the best chance at developing and being healthy in your first trimester, as the first three months are the most crucial stage in the development of your baby's organs.

So, limit or stop the use of drugs, alcohol, and medications. If you eat fish or seafood, limit it to once a week, due to the possibility of high mercury content. Even canned tuna should only be eaten once a week. Fish sticks and fast food sandwiches are usually made from fish with low mercury content. You should avoid raw fish, sushi during your pregnancy. Obviously alcohol should be avoided, I have a friend who drank during the first three months (she was unaware she was pregnant until 9 weeks) her daughter was born with FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome) and has a learning disability, it is unfortunate and she feels guilty every day. Just thought I'd throw that in there, as some mothers think that they can do it and it will not affect their baby, it does. If you drink coffee you should try to cut down the amount, same with sodas and tea. Some medications for headaches and colds contain caffeine as well, these should be avoided. If you smoke, you should try to cut down to the minimum you can, if you can quit that would be even better, (I am a smoker and know it is very difficult) I could not quit, but did get myself down to 5 a day while I was pregnant. Use very good, even slightly neurotically safe food handling practices when dealing with raw meats and eggs to avoid exposure to staphylococcus, e coli & salmonella. Avoid saunas and hot tubs that are hotter than body temperature. If you have a cat that uses a litter box, you should not clean that while you are pregnant. Cat feces has a parasite in it that can cause Toxoplasmosis, it can also be found in plant soil, and raw meat. It can cause brain damage in a developing baby if the mother becomes infected while pregnant. Avoid using strong chemicals without good ventilation to avoid fetal solvent syndrome, (birth defects caused by exposure to chemical fumes while in uteri. Some of these are, hair dye, fingernail polish, hair perm chemicals, paint fumes, acrylic nail fumes, insecticides.)

Lastly, you should still exercise, but should avoid strenuous exercises or jarring movements, ie, jumping jacks, rock climbing, hang gliding...free falling from airplanes....lol  

I know this seems like you have to enclose yourself in a giant bubble to be safe, but really they are things that are either common sense, or things you might not think of being a concern. I knew most of them, but I did do some research for ya, just to be thorough, and because I couldn't remember what the parasite was called in cat poo...I hope this has been helpful and not to overwhelming. Good luck to you & God Bless!  

Thanks! Your reply is very helpful! I did smoke yet I stopped and haven't touched it since I even thought there was a possibility of me being pregnant lol It was just one of those natural things mothers do to protect their kid I guess. I haven't touched a soda, or junk food since I found out. But do you think the drinks that say "no caffeine" like Sprite, or Fanta are safe? I pretty much have been inside a bubble with how careful I've been lol but thank you for your help!

If they say caffeine free, they probably are, however you should avoid drinks sweetened with any sugar substitutes like Aspartame, also know as Equal, NutraSweet, Equal Measure, and Spoonful or anything that says it has ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS in it, (high fructose corn syrup)  There is a lot of info on the web about what these do to your body and brain or (neurotransmitters) in your brain to be more precise and the developing brain of an unborn baby or infant if ingested on a regular basis. If its the carbonated (fizzy) feeling you like, try getting some natural juice, orange juice or grape lemon etc, or even kool-aid and adding some unsweetened seltzer water to it. It is almost like a soda, only all natural. Or just take a minute to read labels and see that it doesn't contain these harmful chemicals they use to sweeten things now. Sugar doesn't mess up your brain, it is not evil, people just use it in excess and then wonder why they are fat, so our scientist try to come up with ways to let us eat in excess with less fear of gaining weight, at the risk of all these side effects. Hope this was helpful. :-)