Hello. I am really worried about my daughter. She is 16 years old and somehow, she is always down. First, I believed that she is depressed but somehow, this is a different type of "depression". She is eating constantly. I don't know what is going on with her since she really doesn't want to talk about anything.  I was talking to my good friend about this and she told me that my Lilly has all of that symptom for a binge eating disorder.  How common is a binge eating disorder among teenage girls? What can I do about this, I can't watch her suffer anymore. 

Hey. I am sorry to hear this. Did you try to talk to her about this, to see what bothers her? Depression and binge eating disorder are two things that are really similar and they are connected. Yes, it is a common disorder in the teens generally, because usually kids in those ages are affected by something and they can't deal with it. Do you have any problems in your family that may affect her in the early age? Because you really should dig deeper in order to find what may be affected her. Also, it would be a good idea to visit some doctor or nutritionist how can help her fight against this. Good luck!

Celebrity

Teens do have some type of eating disorder very often. But I also have found one fact where it says that experts did some research and they came to a conclusion that the incidence of teenagers with eating disorders among males is also increasing. I don't want to get involved in your relationship, but I think that you should talk to her and tell her that you are there for her and that you will get through this together. It is nothing that you can't treat, it is treatable but as soon as you go to the doctor, sooner he will find a proper treatment and you can expect some good effects. 

hello. the early stage of getting know what you are dealing with is the best option, but it is almost impossible when it comes to teen girls. very often, teen eating disorders are not diagnosed earlier and there are so many different reasons for this. one and the most common reason is that teenagers with certain eating disorders often try to hide them. You had this luck because you were able to see that something is not OK with your girl. generally, teenagers with eating disorders may be in denial about their eating disorders or they are not just aware of the problem. binge eating is one of those. 

very, very common if you ask me since a teen girl from my neighborhood and my sister's daughter had the same problem in two months. so, the good thing is that I am good with my neighbor and I was aware of some symptoms when they started to happen to my niece. we reacted pretty much fast and we took her to the doctor. he tried to explain to us that the main reason is that many teens who have certain eating disorders are not people we would think of as having eating disorders. they don't look at this situation like a problem, they just can't recognize it. but yes, this type of eating disorder also increased in teens, males or females, and in people of all ages as well.

Uncontrollable eating can happen for so many reasons and I have to agree that teens are not aware of it. Neither are parents in so many cases because they believe that, when the puberty comes, it is normal to see their kids have some different stages of the behavior. If your daughter is overweight, that is one more sign. Generally, teens don't have to be overweight to have a binge-eating disorder, but it is usually like this. Also, teens feel like they have no control over their behavior. They are hiding and eating alone because they want to hide it from everyone.

You are one amazing parent! There are so many parents who are just busy because they have so many commitments, they have a lot of work and they can't spend a lot of time with their kids, but you noticed that something is different with your daughter. Good job!

Now, you should convince her to see a doctor, just in case, and I believe that you will be able to do that since you have a good relationship, I am sure. Maybe it would be good to know that teenagers with eating disorders often have other psychiatric disorders and that is why you need to react very fast. Teenagers may have obsessive-compulsive disorder or tendencies. Finding a proper doctor should be the way out of this situation.  Good luck!