Hello, folks. My son always ate well, but lately he does not want to eat meat. I really don’t know what is wrong with him. I am thinking of taking him to the doctor. I know that meat is very important for a diet. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you for replying.

Hello. You haven’t mentioned how old your son is. If he is a teenager, I would say that he could be suffering from some eating disorders. But, if he is older, I will suspect some more serious condition. In some cases, people with stomach cancer have this symptom. You should take your son to the doctor. There, he will be examined thoroughly. Let me know what you discover. Good luck! Bye!

It might help to try talking to him a very calm and understanding manner or to take him to a doctor or mental health practitioner. There is probably nothing wrong with him but it may take someone to not be judgmental or pressuring of his decision to really get out of him why he has decided not to eat meat. There are actually many intelligent and healthy people who choose not to eat meat for a variety of reasons including for the ethical treatment of animals or because in some ways not eating meat may be healthy because much of the meat we eat is treated with hormones and antibiotics. Maybe he learned something at school, from a friend, or from the internet/tv that sparked is interest or decision that meat was not good for him. If your son actually has chose not to eat meat, that is his decision and you cannot force him. If you are concerned about an eating disorder it is especially important not try to control him or force him into eating as this is usually what turns into a struggle resulting in an eating disorder. Try to find out more about what he does like to eat and have other protein options available to him. If he will drink milk try to have more milk and milk products such as yogurt and cheese for him. If he doesn't even want to drink cow's milk, he may really like soy milk. Most people are suprised by how much they like it. Protein and iron are the main nutrients in meat and this can be obtained through nuts, beans/legumes, milk, and veggies especially dark green.

Depending on is age, some folks all of a sudden just don't want to eat meat, no big deal. I wouldn's say he has an eating disorder, nor would i have even mentioned stomach cancer. If he is a little boy, meat is sort of important for him now, but maybe when he gets older he may become a vegetarian. Does he eat everything else or is it the same with all his food?
So Dear Minta121, please don't run off hysterical thinking that your child has an eating disorder or worse yet, possibly suffering with stomach cancer. Keep an eye on it for a while and mention it to his Dr.
Again, another stupid, and not thought out reply that can scare the pants off someone. This is exactly what i mentioned before. Please be careful what you post. People may come here one time only and take the advice they are given and freak out.
If someone told me my child might have an eating disorder or freakin stomach cancer, i would probably have a heart attack.

I'm a vegetarian, and I stopped eating meat altogether in late middle school. As long as you make sure he gets his protein somehow, he should be fine. Meat is important only because it contains high quality protein and iron. As long as he gets both of these from someplace, I wouldn't worry. And, as gross as it might sound, grilled cubes of tofu with barbeque sauce are absolutely delicious. ;-)
I personally had some issues for the first few years because my parents, while they didn't really mind, refused to buy me any protein products, which meant that I was at risk for anemia, etc. But now I'm better than ever- I'm actually an athelete on a full academic scholarship, so don't think for a minute that it'll affect his mental or physical health. Just make sure he takes a multivitamin, and gets his protein. :-D

I was raised a vegeterian, I've never eaten meat. If he doesn't want to eat meat, that's fine, but as for getting protein I'd recommend you buy him boca burgers :-D (incredibly tasty btw) or some other soy product. But if he doesn't want to eat meat because it hurts his stomach, then I'd take him to the doctor right now. Don't worry about it him becoming inemic or having any other disorders from being vegeterian because I've never gotten horribly sick.

If he's not eating meat because it hurts his stomach or makes him ill, then he probably should be checked out by a doctor. But if he's just chosen not to eat it for personal reasons, there's nothing wrong with him at all. I, for one, have been vegetarian for 15 years (I'm 35), and vegan for 5. While I HAVE had problems with ED's, my refusal to eat meat has nothing to do with that....I've been veggie for far longer than I've had ED's, and MY reason for quitting was the simple fact that the idea of consuming dead flesh made me sick.

A person can refuse animal products and still maintain a very healthy diet...in fact, in most cases, an even healthiER diet than that of most meat eaters. :-)

Hey. you shouldn't worry. I had a friend and she told me that when she was three that she just stopped eating meat. She doesn't really know why but she just randomly decided to be a vegitarian. It could be the same case with your son. I would suggest that you give him lots of milk, eggs, and peanut butter. because you have to keep up with nutrition. and if he is between 6 and 10 it's probably just a faze and he will grow out of it. if he is 11 to 14 well just ask him why. if he is any older then it is his decision, but I would watch to make sure he is getting enough nutrients and eating enough to get him through the day. a vegitarian usually has to eat an extra meal because you digest not meat things faster. hope i helped. bye

Honestly you can take him to a doctor for a check up but some people like myself dont like the taste of meat i really just dont like the way red meat taste but white meat isnt taty eaither i didnt stop liking the taste till i was 14 or he could be going vegatarian NUTS almonds mainly plenty of yogurt will help give him the protien he would get from meat however the chemicals in the processed meat you buy from the store are less health from him if he just ate nuts to make up the protien there are lots of sites for vegitarians that tell you what to make and eat to make up the nutrients your loosing from not eating meat if he had an ED He would not single out JUST meat

I am a kid and i am going through this i dont want to eat animals cuz i love them and it feels like ur eating a dead thing