Hi, good people. My closest friend got pregnant. Everything was fine, but suddenly she became complaining about itching in her skin. We took her to the doctor and after analysis, he said she probably had intrahepatic cholestasis. I didn’t quite understand him what kind of condition this was, so I would like to know how dangerous this can be. I would appreciate it.

Hello to you too. Intrahepatic cholestasis during pregnancy can occur. It is also known as obstetric cholestasis. Cholestasis means that the flow of bile in bile ducts is decreased or even stopped. A certain amount of bile goes into the bloodstream. Itching is the most common symptom. This is more dangerous for the baby since there is a higher risk for stillbirth. For mothers, there is higher risk for bleeding from womb. I hope everything will be all right with your friend. Bye!