Hi, I'm 27 years old and recently I have been diagnosed with pineal cysts. Before I went to the doctor for an examination I had frequent headaches, frequent fadeouts and problems with my eyesight. They did a series of tests includig MRI and X-rays of my brain and they concluded that it is a pineal cyst. I'm not sure what that exactly means, I was told that this is something like a tumor but not quite and that it can be dangerous. What kind of a tumor that is and does it pose any kind of a thread to my health?

Pineal cysts are usually benign tumors of the pineal gland. Pineal gland is the small gland on the base of the brain which produces some very important hormones that are used to control almost all functions of the body so it is indispensable to the organism. The cysts are pockets of some liquid, usually liquor or intercellular liquid, sometimes even blood, that are located on the pineal gland. Their origin is usually unknown, there are many factors that can contribute to their appearance. They present the problem if they are applying pressure on the gland thus interfering with its function which can lead to different kinds of symptoms like headaches and eyesight problems (pineal gland is situated very close to the optical nerve). They are usually benign, which means that they rarely make metastases in other tissues, but if they enlarge they can pose a real thread to the functioning of the body. That’s why they are surgically taken out if that is possible. The approach is difficult because pineal gland is placed on the base of the skull and that’s why pineal cysts are often impossible to treat surgically. If possible the cyst should be removed. It is the best that you talk to your doctor for possible treatment possibilities.

The prior article is very inaccurate, misleading and written by somebody with poor knowledge of this condition. Please more respect when doint this. Pineal cyst are not tumors if you want to use this as equivalent to neoplasm. The cells in the cyst do not growth by excessive division. Fluid is accumulated because the normal gland has at microscopic level cystic areas that can fuse together. If the cyst is larger than one centimeter there is a high chance of compresion of a ventricular duct and hydrocephalus may develope. Treatment when symptomatic is decompression vias stereotaxic or endoscopic intraventricular. Both are simple procedures with low morbidity if done by neurosurgeons trained in this technology.

My son has a cyst in his pinel and he is fine and healthy. He is five and has no headaches or anything. I only found out about it because he hit his head at 1yr of age and they did a CT. He has had 3 MRIs and is having one more soon. Just because you have one dosen't nean everytime you have a headach you blame it on your cyst. It is not a tumor and can't become one either. o.O

hi :-D i have a pineal cyst, i am 31, i suffer with severe headache attacks and have a condition called paroxysmal hemicrainia, i am on indomethacin 3 times a day to try and control the headaches. im under a nuero surgeon and he said any cyst shud be biopsied but becaues its on the pineal gland they cant because i wud hemorage, he also said pineal cysts are usually found by mistake either threw death or through an mri for another reason, they are NOT tummors! they can go unnoticed in people for years and dont cause any problems! i have regular scans and recently had a lumbar puncture because my headaches were so severe, the indomethacine helps but has side effects, my nuerosurgeon told me that if there was indications they cud be cancerous he would treat me precautionary and take no risks but was 100% adamant they are not any thing to do with cancer or tumours
hope this helps, xxxx

It is clear one individual addressing pineal cysts not only does not have an understanding of the topic in question but almost certainly does not know the difference between the pineal and pituitary glands.

Starting around Sept of 2006 my health was heading downhill. Headaches , migraines ( which I had never had before). Getting sick for no apparent reason. Than around the end of Jan. I had a seizure when I had a ct scan done that's when I was diagnosed with a pineal gland cyst. After talking to a few neurosurgeons and being told different things ( that's is was not the cause of my problems, or that maybe it was) I decided to search for the best neurosurgeon to get a third opinion. And turns out that it was the largest cyst of this type my surgeon had seen, within two weeks I had surgery to have it removed. And even though it has been a very long recovery, I have never felt better!! Not a single headache since surgery!!! I know that this was a rare case, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to e-mail me @ _[removed]_.......
[/enc]

Starting around Sept of 2006 my health was heading downhill. Headaches , migraines ( which I had never had before). Getting sick for no apparent reason & vision problems. Than around the end of Jan. I had a seizure when I had a ct scan done that's when I was diagnosed with a pineal gland cyst. After talking to a few neurosurgeons and being told different things ( that is was not the cause of my problems, or that maybe it was) I decided to search for the best neurosurgeon to get a third opinion. And turns out that it was the largest cyst of this type my surgeon had seen, within two weeks I had surgery to have it removed. And even though it has been a very long recovery, I have never felt better!! Not a single headache since surgery!!! I know that this was a rare case, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to e-mail me *****

8-| I think that the advice was accurate.. However should you keep monitoring a pineal cyst if they can't do anything about it.. I have a pineal cyst .. found in 1997.. it is wieghted too heavy for a cyst however.. grows at the rate of a cyst... Reasearch has shown over the years that the pineal gland does alot more than originally thought however treatment is dangerous.. The area they have to go through to remove the cyst is like trying to suck a pea though a coffee straw.. If they accidently touch anything.. oops it's life or blindness or a chance at being paralized, Mine was found by no accident.. when I have what I call a pineal headache it did cause enough pressure to make it seem as if I was having a stroke one of my eyes was not responding to light changes quick enough to suit my dotor.. Mine has grown over the years and each time it grows I get very severe headaches that won't go away.. They are different than a migraine... pain killers work on a migraine.. and now all of a sudden i have a ciari??? malformation that wasn't there... So My doc tells me surgery is not an option toooooo dangerous however I should keep monitoring it though MRI's ... he also told me I would get a real severe headache one day and go to sleep... he said I won't wake up.. so my question is why keep tabs on it a several thousand a pop??? and Believe me.. it is now over 2cm and I am still kicking ... even on the bad days... I think I would just rather not think about it and enjoy my life..and not have the worry and fuss every six months..
what do you think??

Paige DeSarro

EAST LIVERPOOL — Paige Marie DeSarro, 17, of Yeager Drive, funny, brave and a loyal friend to many, died at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, June 23, 2007, at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh after suddenly taking ill one week ago.

Born April 17, 1990, in Salem, a daughter of Todd DeSarro of East Liverpool and Dana Hughes Wright and Rich Wright at home, she had lived all her life in this area.

A member of Glenmoor Presbyterian Church, she was to enter her senior year at Beaver Local High School in the fall. She was a member of the volleyball team and had played basketball at one time.

In addition to her parents, she is survived by a brother, Shane Wright, at home; and two sisters, Sierra Wright, at home, and Alyssa DeSarro of East Liverpool.

Surviving are maternal grandparents, Keith and Joan Hughes of East Liverpool; paternal grandparents, Bill and Karen DeSarro of East Liverpool; paternal great-grandfather, Everett Anderson of East Liverpool, maternal stepgrandparents, Earl and Karen Beaver of East Liverpool and maternal stepgrandparents, Rich and Luann Wright of Salineville; maternal stepgreat-grandmothers, Letha Lee, Margaret Beaver and Naomi Wright, all of East Liverpool.

Surviving are five aunts, Kelly DeSarro of East Liverpool, Traci Furman and her husband, Eric, of East Liverpool, Holly Walls and her husband, Tom, of Mississippi, Danielle Beaver of Washington, Pa., and Courtney Wright of East Liverpool, and two uncles, Scott DeSarro and his wife, Bev, of East Liverpool and Justin Wright and his wife, Kylie, of Wellsville.

Also surviving are many cousins.

The Rev. Rick Dawson is to conduct services at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Dawson Funeral Home, where friends may call from 2 to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Burial is to be in Columbiana County Memorial Park.

Memorial tribute may take the form of contributions in care of the Paige DeSarro Scholarship Fund, in care of the Beaver Local Schools Foundation, P.O. Box 2503, East Liverpool, Ohio.

View this obituary and send condolences online at www.dawsonfuneralhome.com.

6/25/07
She had a cyst on her brain!
Talk to your Doctors again!

Paige DeSarro

Also surviving are many cousins.

View this obituary and send condolences online at **edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed**

6/25/07
She died of a brain cyst, talk to your Doctors again!

Hi I am 10 years old and I have a Pineal Cyst. I found this out a day ago. The doctor said that its nothing to really worry about. But after reading all of these comments I think it really is something to worry about. Two years ago in 2005 my dad and I got in a car acsident and my head went foward and then hit the back of the headrest. So that is why I now have a Pineal Cyst. In 2008 I have to get another MRI cause I have headaches everyday and if the Pineal Cyst gets bigger he might have to do surgery. So yet again Im 10 years old.

I am a 37 year old male who is recovering for successful pineal gland cyst surgery. I required 2 surgeries to puncture/deflate the cyst and another to biopsy it. My cyst was discovered in September 2006 after a CT and MRI. I experienced severe headaches and dizziness.
Thanks to a very aggressive AND SKILLED surgeon, I am here today. The surgery was complicated but well worth my pain. Who wants to live with headaches and dizziness everyday. I fly for a living and you don't want that!!
I did suffer a rare complication during surgery called terson's syndrome. In layman's terms it is a retinal hemmorage. The intercranial pressure was so great due to the cyst blocking the 3rd ventrical, that the pressure caused a rupture, which resulted in a dual retinal hemmorage. My vision went from 20/20 to nearly blind. 10 months later I am fully recovered from 2 brain surgeries and the retinal bleeding. 20/20 again in both eyes.
I will soon be back to flying.
From all of the information I received from my surgeon, many people have these cysts but are Asymptomatic. They go their whole lives never having a problem. Don't be afraid to have the procedure done. I know every case is different, but your body is trying to tell you something. Get the procedure done. It was not a painful procedure and recovery. The worst part was waking from the anesthesia.
Take it from a real survivor of the surgery..times 2....it works and you will be symptom free!!

I am a 37 year old male that HAD a pineal gland cyst. I too had severe headaches and diziness. I had my surgey performed in October 2006 in Buffalo, NY. I required 2 seperate brain surgeries to complete the biopsy and removal of the cyst. It actually was not removed, BUT DEFLATED. The surgeon just punctures the cyst and it shrivels?? up. It has been almost a year later and I am headache free.
I would not be afraid of having the surgery..I know you are only 10.. but trust me, it was not that bad. The worst part of the surgery was waking up from the very deep anesthesia. The nausea was pretty bad...but it does stop.
Like my doctor told me. If you are having symptoms, your body is trying to tell you something. Have the procedure if he/she is recomending it. If the cyst is continuing to grow, it may eventually grow enough that it begins to interfere with other brain functions.
My headaches were caused because the 3rd ventricle was almost totally blocked. It resulted in hydrocephalus. My cyst was 3cm. I just had another MRI on 7/23/07 and there is no sign that a cyst was ever there.
I am looking forward to going back to work flying big airplanes. Unfortunately, I will never get this year of my life back. But I FEEL GREAT NOW!!!

In 1999 I was dxd with a pineal gland tumor. I was having equilibrium problems and they found my tumor and that I had hydrocephalus. I had a shunt installed (that drains the cerebral fluid when the drainage duct is blocked). My tumor measured 4.6 cm. In 2003 it was found to be growing again and I had surgery that removed most of it and also removed my pineal gland and unless I'm nuts, you really can live without your pineal gland ;-)
While it is a dangerous surgery, I wouldn't call it too dangerous to do, it's done quite often, even on tumors smaller than mine. Whether a surgeon would do it for a cyst I don't know but some of what I'm reading here is blatantly untrue so I thought I'd clear that up.