hello about 6 months ago i was hospitalized for 8 days with acute pancreatitis. i am happy to say that since i havent used any tobacco or alcohol. however i have been consuming quite a bit of coffee anywhere from 3-10 cups a day, as well as 3-4 cups of green tea. i have read different things different places and have heard different opinions from more than one doctor regarding caffeine. i am just curious as to what other people have experienced.

Caffeine, along with alcohol and tobacco is one thing you have to avoid, especially in the amount you have it, I mean - 10 cups! That is something that wouldn't be recommended even to a person with perfect health, and you are just risking that you erase all the positive effects you achieved with quitting alcohol and tobacco. I know how hard it can be to have to give up something like coffee - I had to, but the fact is you still will be able to drink it, only keep the amount in the reasonable range.

i appreciate the speedy response, and i understand that i am most likely consuming too much caffeine. what is a reasonable amount of caffeine to consume in one day? i am aware that a cup of drip coffee contains aprox. 80 mg of caffeine, and green tea is roughly a quarter of that (20 mg). i deal a lot better with numbers, and the word "limit" doesn't do much for me. i apologize if i am coming off as crass, but if i had some hard numbers then i could do a better job of limiting my caffeine intake. as i am writing this however i discovered a link that i found very informative. it states the following:

What's interesting is what happened to those who drank six or more cups of coffee per day - men slashed their chances of contracting diabetes by 54 percent, and women by 30 percent [source: Kirchheimer].

Other studies have shown similar results in many facets of human health:

Regular coffee drinkers are 80 percent less likely to develop Parkinson's disease.
Two cups a day gives you 20 percent less risk of colon cancer.
Two cups a day causes an 80 percent drop in cirrhosis.
Two cups a day prevents gallstone development by 50 percent.
It has also shown to be beneficial in asthma, stopping headaches, boosting mood and even preventing cavities [source: Kirchheimer].

the thing that i found compelling is that drinking 6 or more cups per day cut your chances of contracting diabetes in half. i remember my doctor saying something that if i continued drinking alcohol i could damage my pancreas to the point that i could develop diabetes. then later on in the same article i states:

One thing is clear -- despite the recent findings, most doctors still recommend moderation in regard to caffeine intake.

there just seems to be so many different opinions and studies all saying different things.

here is the url in case you are interested

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I don't know, the statement such as "Regular coffee drinkers are 80 percent less likely to develop Parkinson's disease" is definitely something that doesn't fit into anything, really, because of the conclusions you can draw from that - everybody should drink coffee so they practically eliminate the risk of Parkinson's or the second conclusion - caffeine is in direct relationship with Parkinson's disease, which I would be happy if it was true, but I'm afraid things are not that simple.

I too have pancreatitis and happened to notice some things that I wish to share. Not only alcohol but vitamin D supplements will cause problems. Vitamin D raises the levels of the same liver enzyme as does alcohol. When I take the D supplement, my pancreas lets me know it. It really gets to me so I am letting up on the D. 

Come on, prove it. More information needed on that comment. Vitamin D is used for curing cancer in huge doses. Where and what D are you using?

Have you ever asked your doctor about taking ritalin? I was in the same boat about 8 years ago, drinking caffeine or alcohol and chewing all day, decided that trying ritalin and gym would be better for me, quit chewing a month later, and only drink caffeine or alcohol occaisonally. if it helps?

Would love to know what it is that u feel when your pancreas acts up after??

I too have a history of acute pancreatitis. Did not know that Vitamin D raises the liver enzymes.