My panic attacks started few months ago. Then I went to doctor and he told me that I need to rest more and to stop drink coffee. I’m desperate because I drink more then five cups of coffee per day and also I drink cola very much. Does anybody else try to giving up caffeine to lessen panic attacks?

I can understand you. I’m also addictive to caffeine and I need to stop drink coffee if I want to feel better. I have problem with insomnia and panic attacks also. I didn’t know that caffeine can be so addictive. My doctor told me that I need to be careful because many products have hidden caffeine.

Years of stress and depression eventually leads to panic attacks and anxiety attacks. The body can't handle it anymore and develops high sensitivity to stimulants of various kinds. Caffeine is one of them - which worsens anxiety/panic attacks. The body also begins to develop a high sensitivity to stressful situations, etc.. and people with this tend to over react to situations - anger, etc.. I went cold turkey when giving up caffeine all together, suffered headaches and flu like symptoms for less than a week, but fine later on. No more anxiety/panic attacks. Be careful though because some pain killers also have high dose of caffeine.

Once I gave up caffeine I started the process of removing stress out of my life using positive affirmations, mindful present moment living, journalizing, going deep within to work out my problems and moving on from those stressors, alternated yoga with cardio daily, did meditation twice daily (20mins each) - very very powerful, changed my diet (www.ayurveda.com), etc.. I am still undergoing recovery in an effort to reconfigure my brain (internal software) and rest of my body to return to good health. Its a four month long recovery plan and I've integrated spirituality in it too to help solve my inner issues. I'm a lot better and I can feel my mind+body changing for the better.

You have to realize that years of stress and overload weakened your system. Now its time to re-energize it and recover. Doing the above can take 4-6 months for fair-good recovery. It can take approx 1-year for the body to return to full recovery. So be patient and work hard to get better.

One more thing, cut out all caffeine, intoxicants, alcohol, drugs, etc.. These are stimulants and not good for the nervous system once you've reached the panic/anxiety disorder stage. Cut out other sensual stimulants such as porn, loud music and parties, etc... Get regularity back into your life, like going to bed early and getting up early at set times, eating your meals at set times, etc... Your nervous system loves regularity and heals as a result. Too many sudden changes during panic/anxiety disorders may worsen the condition. Stability, warmth, slow pace, quietitude, spirituality, goodness... all of these are important to help the body return to recovery.

Above all believe when doing the above believe that you are feeling better, and will have fully recovered very very soon. Be confident! The body can get better when the mind decides that for it.

All the best!

Well lots of coffee and cola may have connections with your panic attacks. He is right when he has told you to stop drinking coffee. You have to find some replacement for the coffee and the cola. Try with more natural drinks, like orange juice or something.

If you decide to stop caffeine intake, you must take it down one notch at a time. Caffeine headaches are unbearable and you think your going to die. Don't stop cold turkey. Caffeine addiction is a real problem tho it sounds trivial, it's not. Instead of banging 5 or 6 cups of coffee a day, start out with 3 or 4. Make sure you have that first cup in the morning or your headaches will begin. I started by having my normal full bodied cup in the morning, then switched to decaf during the day. I would have another full strength about 1 or 2 in the afternoon, as i was falling asleep, then drank decaf for the rest of the day. As bedtime approached, i actually fell asleep and slept soundly. It was nice to have a cup of coffee after supper and not be wired for the next 5 hours, it was decaf. Folgers makes a nice instant decaf, it's actually very close to caffeinated and now that i have been drinking it so much, i can't really tell the diff.

Giving up caffeine will be the best possible move you can make in terms of getting rid of panic attacks. I have friends with anxiety disorders, and I have advised each and every one of them to stop drinking so much caffeine, if not give it up altogether. And the funny thing is, the ones who give it up are much more relaxed. Panic attacks are hard enough without the added stress of caffeine, which can make it difficult to relax. You will be much healthier and happier without caffeine, at least mentally!

wow, you said this the best fact way you could, thank you, I stopped cold ALL caffeine, tea's, coffee( 10 cups a day) sodas and onions, been 2. 5 months and feel, finally, like human again, no more panic attacks, no more heavy breathing, cold feet, nervous, this is a better life! now next on my hit list is quite smoking, May 7th, I QUITE. THANKS TO ALL for all the information to a better self, thank you.