Hello! My grandfather has been diagnosed with cataract. The doc says it is not so bad, and that the operations can be delayed for a couple of years, so that is what we decided he would do. However, I am interested in cataract surgeries. I would like to know if cataract can be treated with lasik surgery! What happens to one’s lenses during the surgery? Thank you so much for the info!

Hello. Lasik surgery is not used for cataract. Cataract is a clouding of the normally clear lens of the eye. During a surgery, an old lens is removed and a new one placed. There are two procedures for treating cataract, a conventional and a modern. Extra capsular cataract extraction – ECCE is a conventional technique. It requires an incision of 10-12mm. In this procedure, clouded lens is removed in one piece A non-foldable lens is implanted and multiple stitches are required. Micro-incision cataract surgery – phacoemulsification is a modern technique. It is a micro-incisional stitch less operation where cataract is emulsified by ultrasound energy, liquefied & sucked through the phacoemulsifier probe. Then a foldable intra-ocular lens is implanted in the eye permanently. It is least traumatic form of cataract surgery with early rehabilitation & recuperation. On the other hand, lasik surgery is used for correcting nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. In this procedure, the front surface of the eye (cornea) is being reshaped. I hope I managed to clear up some things for you.