Hey friends. My dog is getting older and I just can’t deal with it. I can see that he is older every day. When I look back in the past I can’t believe how quickly time passes. Eight years!  He has those sad eyes but I notice that his look is somehow different. His eyes are clouded and I don’t know what this should mean. I tried to look up for answer but I didn’t have success. Can you tell me what are the most common causes of clouded eyes in dogs? Should I be worried or this is something that is connected with his ages?

Hi Tessa,

Your dog likely has cataracts.  See your vet.

Most dogs can't get around very well, even if blind, if they get used to a location.

It is not painful.

Hey medic-dan. Thank you for your quick answer. I have an appointment with my vet tomorrow and I am really scared. Can you tell me little more about cataracts? Is this dangerous? I mean, can my dog be blind because of this? Trust me I am not able to research about this at all because it makes me stressed. No one of my friends can’t give me the proper answer. I think that today his eyes are more clouded than yesterday. I just can’t wait to see my vet. I really hope that everything is going to be OK with my dog :/
Tessa

Hey there.

Tessa, I agree with medic-dan. It is probably a cataracts in your dog. I think that this is nothing that serious and I believe that your dog can’t be blind because of it. Right?

Cataract is a breakdown of the fibers which make up the lens of the eye. But there is a possibility that your dog has nuclear sclerosis.

Now you are probably wondering what the difference is. You can’t determine the difference just by looking at your dog’s eyes. Nuclear sclerosis is the normal cloudy eye that develops with your dog’s age.

But to tell the difference you need to visit the vet. And please don’t panic.

Hey there.

A clouded eye in your dog or increased opacity of the eye is usually associated with reduced transparency of either the cornea, the lens or even the fluid media within the eye.

In dogs this change is usually described as film that covers the eye or that increased cloudiness within the eye. Sometimes clouded eyes are not associated with reduction of vision.

Now when you know what are the potential causes you need to take your dog to the vet and let him determine what exactly is going on with your dog.

Successful treatment depends on obtaining an accurate diagnosis when your vet determines what tissue of the eye is cloudy and what the main underlying cause is.

Hey everyone.

There are five possible causes of clouded eyes in your dog. You already know about nuclear sclerosis and cataracts, but there are three more diseases.

It could be caused by glaucoma. Glaucoma is a condition in which there is increased pressure within your dog’s eye. Sometimes that pressure is painful and if you let it untreated it can cause even blindness.

There is corneal dystrophy as well. If this disease is inherited progressive condition usually affects both eyes. It is not painful and normal vision may not be affected.

Maybe your dog has anterior uveitis. It means that there is an inflammation of the iris within the uvea of the eye. This is painful condition. Whatever is the cause it has to be treated.