Hi there,

A very good friend of mine got married a few years ago. It was a happy occasion, they knew each other from high school, that's when they fell in love with each other and since then, they had a wonderful relationship. As soon as they got married they got a son, I think it was the happiest day of their lives.

However, a few days ago, their son, now aged 7, has been diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease and my friend told me that this is very serious. Can anyone tell me how serious this really is and how can it be treated?

Hi Guest,

It gives me hope to hear that there are still happy families out there, it is kind of hard to find these nowadays.

Well, this is a very serious disease, it is the worst outcome of rheumatic fever. It seems to mostly affect children who are between 5 and 15 years old. Rheumatic heart disease is a condition that causes permanent damage to the heart valves. If it is left untreated, I'm afraid that the outcome isn't that good. Treatment shouldn't be a problem, I think that it consists of different medications including antibiotics, I doubt the surgery would be necessary. 

There might be a need for surgery if the boy's condition gets to be very severe. Hopefully it won't, but if it gets severe, he will need surgery to fix or replace damaged heart valves.

Usually, the child’s healthcare provider may prescribe one or more of these medicines: antibiotics to treat the strep infection, steroids or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines to ease inflammation in the heart and in other parts of the body, or water pills (diuretics) for heart failure.

The boy will have to rest until his doctor tells him otherwise. If he does what he is supposed to do, I think that he should be okay.

Hi Bee, Adria,

I honestly hope that he won't need a surgery. But I mean, if it happens to be a must do thing, then he should do whatever is best for him, if it is going to fix his condition, then it should be done.

I don't know really, my friend has been very sad and scared, she had been crying for the whole day once she found out that her son has rheumatic fever, I think that she knows how dangerous this can be since some people in her family also had some issues with their hearts when they were younger.

Hello friends.

I don’t know any case when children had rheumatic heart disease. And I am sorry to hear this. I know something about the treatment for the adults, so maybe it is similar. Maybe it can help you.  In any of those cases I believe that medical therapy in rheumatic heart disease included attempts to prevent rheumatic fever and in patients who develop rheumatic heart disease, therapy is directed toward eliminating the group A streptococcal pharyngitis (if is still present, of course). Now all you need to do is to follow the doctor’s instruction. Maybe simple medications can help a kid.

Hey everyone. I am a little bit surprised about your post La Yl La, because it is known that rheumatic heart disease can happen in the children between 5 and 15 years old. Of course that it can happen to adults, but it is rare I guess.  Rheumatic heart disease is a condition that causes permanent damage to the heart valves and it can be very dangerous. It requires a treatment. Rheumatic heart disease follows rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever is the body's response to a strep infection of the throat or tonsils—"strep throat."  Rheumatic heart disease is uncommon in the U.S., because rheumatic fever is also not common.

I didn’t know that it is more common in children than in the adults. Maybe I was reading about rheumatic heart disease in children case. I am not sure. I know that I was reading about the symptoms that can occur and some of those symptoms include: trouble while breathing, chest pain, cough, heart murmur. Also, some of the symptoms can be a rash, irregular heartbeats, irregular movements, abdominal pain, fever and even the lung infection.

I know about those symptoms and I really hope that this kid is going to be ok.

It scares me to know that there are so many sick kids.