Is is necessary to take a synthetic drug or if I have a total thyroidectomy can I take the natural alternative? Would the doctor test the homone levels in the same way if this is possible?

Hi

Thyroidectomy is not a simple procedure and thyroid gland has many function in our body, but unfortunately we sometimes need to have surgery to remove it. But our body still needs hormones that are produced by thyroid gland. I actually never heard anyone asking this question and it got me interested when I seen it here. I searched a little bit and I wasn’t able to find any natural hormone replacements. Everybody is talking about supplements that are generically produced. And every doctor is just talking about prescription for medications. Did you think that there might be some foods that could help with hormone replacement? Only thing that I found was mention of animal hormones use as replacement.

I found Armour Thyroid, Bio-thyroid, Naturethyroid, and Westthyroid. I just wondered which was best. Some say the generically produced just promotes T4 not T3 which is needed for a healthy fuctioning thyroid. I was given Levothyroxine? What do u think?

I had complete thyroidectomy and take synthroid 125 .
if I don't take it how long my body can function without it?

I have been wondering the same thing. What happens if we can no longer get the medicine?