Hi! I'm 24 years old. My doctor told me I have plummers disease...type of hyperthyroidism toxic goiter. Other doctor told it's just graves disease. I'm really confused. I have a question regarding my eyes my doctor told me that it's fine. But my family and friends noticed that my eyes are protruding especially on the right eye. I think the doctor did not noticed because I have small and chinky eyes. It'd disturbing because the size of my eyes are unequal and it's very visible on side view. Im really afraid my eyes wont resume to normal size. It has been 5 months since I noticed it's increasing size.
I'll be having total thyroidectomy once my TSH and FT4 returns to normal probably on 1st week of May as ordered by the doctor who told me that I have plummer's disease. and I will expect in gaining more weight after my thyroid removal. My concern is can I still conceive a child? Is fertility affected? I'm not married and didn't have a boyfriend either... would time matter in developing to become infertile?... or I should have Radioactive Iodine as my treatment?

Please enlighten my mind...
Thank you

Hi: perhaps you've already made your decision, but here's my advice. I had a complete thyroidectomy last year. I did not do the iodine because it was not a total solution and it involved a toxic chemical that was supposed to have the same result as the surgery. My surgery was very successful. The long-term effect is that you will have to take one pill a day for the rest of your life to replace the very important thyroid hormone. You would have to do the same thing if you took the iodine, which is used to kill the thyroid gland. As far as I know, there is absolutely no connection between removing your thyroid and being able to conceive and deliver a healthy baby. I hope this helps and I wish you the best. Please let me know what you decided and how you are doing.

by now u will b recovering from ur surgery ...hope my advice help u some where
:-) protution of eyes in thyroid disease is known as exoptlalmus.....its not a permanent deformaty,it will become normal once ur thyroid problem is corrected,u might b having irregular or no periods,ur periods and fertlity will again be normal once ur harmone levels r normal....hey do not go for radio therapy,its usualy kept for last option coz of the side effects...how ws ur surgery????

I'd also like to know that you are doing ok? I hope that you are doing ok since we haven't heard back from you. I am anxious to hear which procedure you decided on and why? Did any of my info sound familiar to you? Did you get a second opinion. I really hope that you made a decision that you are now happy with. Take care of yourself and keep educating yourself about these things. Take care. :-)