Could thyroid gland enlarge temporarily? I am asking this for my mother who was terrified all day yesterday when she found out that her gland was a bit larger. I asked her if she is feeling any changes but she could not answer me straight. Actually, she is worried because her friend is suffering from Graves disease (thyroid gland was also bigger). What can I do?

Thyroid gland could get bigger for a short period. The more important things are symptoms that go along and represent certain disease and illnesses. Since she was not complaining about any changes before she discovered bigger gland I think that it is safe to assume that she is all right. Of course, to assure yourself and her, make her see a doctor.

Hallo,
If I am not mistaking enlargement of thyroid gland is called Goiter and it is often a symptom of some thyroid disease. The thing is that thyroid enlargement can be caused by cancer as well. This is very serious condition that needs to be checked by your doctor immediately. However the most common thyroid disease that causes the enlargement is hyperthyroidisms or hypothyroidism. These conditions refer to over production or low production of thyroid hormone. Sometimes if your thyroid is enlarged you can have thyroid nodules as well. Many thyroid nodules don’t even have any symptoms so in many cases they are not even noticeable at all. In many cases they are not cancerous as well. Did she had anything simmilar in past period?