My thyroid is so enlarged that I am having trouble swollowing, so the choice over wether or not to have it removed is not in my control. I've read posts on here and now I pretty much just want to curl up in a corner and die. I am not on any medications now and feel great. So is this just a sentence to be fat, tired, depressed, and bald?

Has anyone had their thyroid removed and was just fine?

Also, am taking a week and half off of work. Is this enough time?

Please dont do that to yourself, you really will suffer in the end, my husband is going through the same thing right now and is reversing it by way of natural supplements, vitamins and minerals thats it!
Before you do something that is permanent why not try something that has no risks, if it doesnt work (it's worked for my family and many others) then you could get the surgery but trust me doing this will be the best choice you've ever made.

Go to theiodineproject.com to find out suggested supplements and get more information.

Nichole

Your thyroid needs to be checked by the doctor for possible malignancy. Total thyroidectomy is never a good thing, as you will be on thyroid hormone replacement therapy for the rest of your life.

Yes, the threat of malignancy is the reason I am having it removed. My nodules are growing too quickly and are too larger to get an accurate FNB done. I've seen many doctors and have thought about this decision for over a year. it really does have to come out. I understand taht I will need to be on hormone replacement for the rest of my life. That is why I am posting here. I am looking for some positive stories from others that are on hormone replacement and are living life just fine.

Anyone out there with a positive story, I could use some good news.

If you do decide to do it you will need a few things, first DONT do the synthroid thing, that actually increases your chances of getting cancer not to mention most people taking it feel like c**p. Get the Armour or some other dessicated thyroid gland supplement. Also dont forget that you still need iodine for the rest of your body, thyroid or not. Iodine should be in every cell of your body.

I had my thyroid out two and a half months ago. It was very large and at the end was interfering with my breathing, causing some pretty scary panic attacks. I feel a whole lot better now than I've felt in a long time. I am on Armour, that makes a difference.

I did have breathing difficulty the first few weeks, that was understandable considering how huge my goiter was and how much post op swelling was there. And I had to learn how to swallow all over again. Everything is normal now and I feel great.