My brother is on heroin for years and the family somehow managed to get him on heroin withdrawal so my question is how long heroin withdrawal usually last? I mean- is it effective and does it “hurts” for I want him back cured and cleaned out of that drug. Is it possible anyway that heroin withdrawal might be successful at all?

Well for me it was effective I’m clean almost 5 years and I think it took me several months almost a year maybe, am not sure but I was also going on SMART recovery which is prolonged withdrawal meaning you’re still on some kind of a therapy even after you’ve left the hospital for heroin withdrawal. This therapy includes having conversation to some other ex dependants it is something like outpatient counseling and is called in-patient treatment. So it depends from lot of factors how long heroin withdrawal usually last. And to be honest withdrawal hurts a lot it is such ugly experience and is manifested in terrible abdominal pain, sweating, nausea , vomiting I don’t even want to remember it. And being on withdrawal means being on some other drugs or medications that are actually detox methods that would help you brother to get off from heroin, so I was on methadone first larger dose that was gradually reduced you know how it is with methadone. But I’ve heard recently there’s some new medication I think it is called buprenorphine that turned out to be really effective in heroin withdrawal and especially in shorten the detox time so you may reconsider this withdrawal treatment I don’t think it takes that much time as some other types of heroin withdrawal.