I have been on methadone for almost 4 years. I have been decreasing my dose slowly over the past year. I was down to 20mg. and on Monday October 23, 2006 I took my last dose. Today is Tuesday October 31, 2006 and I am still having some pretty rough withdrawl symptons. How long will this last? It has been 8 days now.

I'm kind of in the same boat- so I can take a sort of sadistic pleasure in telling you: Eight Days? You're Just Getting Started. :-)

After four years of methadone use your body and brain have become physiologically accustomed to synthetic opiates.

There will be a very difficult period as your body and brain re-learn to produce natural opiates. Endorphines.

My friend, you're OUT OF GAS......

Assuming you're in perfect condition? And that you practice perfect nutrition and diet (and i don't mean 'eating right'- i mean vegitarian or something)- and that you're giving your body the extra supplements (amino acids and seratonin and dopamine precursors) it needs you should be up and running in say? I don't know......

It's impossible to say......one thing you will learn and quick is that you can't have goals like that... you can't say....in thirty days...i'm going to be just like i was before i started using drugs.....learn how to take it a day at a time it's an useful thing to learn know how to do.....

One last thing- did you go down from 20 mgs to 0 over the course of a year? Is that what you're saying? I hope so because any faster than that is too fast for me..... :-)))

peace out man.....and good luck.....you're an inspiration to all of us....still here......still in the dark........

to who was wanting to know how long with you have withdrawls from methadone, i have been off of methadone since Oct 10 and its been pure hell for me. I have had the shakesk, leg spams, irribitily, cant sleep, my husband probably thinks im a b***h alot but if you have never gone through this you will understand. so i hope if you have any sense GO to the dr. and get clondine it helps with the withdrawls. My doc says it could be months or ever a year before all the withdrawls are gone, They never leave your body completly only to where you wont have anymore withdrawls GOOD LUCK TO YOU take one day at a time thats what i have to do IT DOES GET BETTER

I have only been taking methadone for about 6 months. I went from 80 mgs to 40 to now 10-5mgs a day. I would like to have a baby and need to get off this methadone. But I need to make it through the day. I am a school teacher and can't be sick. What can I do at home to help?

I required neck surgery in 2002. I had 2 additional herniated disk in my lower back as well due to an on the job injury. While I haven't had back surgery, I have had great pain, from my siatic nerve. I have been from lortab, to percocet, to evil oxycotin , and eventually ended up on methadone. I felt I had to have it if I was to have any quality of life. Four years later, I realize I have NO quality of life. The narcotics either kept me tired, depressed and in bed alot, or foggy, unable to use good judgement, a great procrastinater, even nod out at important times. After much deliberation, I am now under a doctors care, away where I can put me first kicking the methadone. Today will be day 7. I have an incredable team from Jesus Christ, Dr., Social Worker, Physical Theapy, and the almighty change of heart and desire. I weaned to 40 mg., then went to Clonodine, Camporal, and Clonazapam. I see my Docs each day, P. T., 3 times a week (whether I feel like it or not.) If I am in great pain, I get Toradol and Vesteril injectiions 1 x a day. I am doing super. Not near the D.T.'s I expected. Its worth every bit of the misery. I know my own pain centers will be back on track, my head will be clear, and if I have to endure some pain, I was never out of pain completely anyway. The best part will be the people who gravitated as my GOOD FRIENDS, who robbed my pills, borrowed promising to have them right back, most only taking for the high, but couldn't find any and were sooooo sick that I would give in trusting over and over. Well as the story goes, they rarely came thru, leaving me short, hurting and betrayed. I can't wait to get back home, clean and sober. I wonder how many so called "friends" I will have flocking at my door? Anyway I will endure and get thru this. I have to know if my own body can take care of the pain drug free and still be able to maintain, I haven't given it a chance. I know one thing. If after the month or better it is inevitable I have to have something I hope it is a non narcotic. If not at least something like lortab, occassionally when it is plain unbearable. One things for sure, I will be the only one who knows I have ANYTHING if it is needed. I have no desire to even be around the old crowd, and they won't have any use for me now. But first and for most, we have to change your Play Friends, Play Things, and Play Ground, if you are determined to stay off of Pills. If your shopping for Candy, stay out of the Pesticide store. Ya know what I mean? Well I am just going into week 2, but I will endure and it will be worth it. I don't expect to be back to feeling super for 4 to 6 weeks. But I am almost thru the worst and instead of surviving at best like the last 4 years, a few weeks of some discomfort will be worth the happiness I will have for the rest of my life. Wish me luck, I do all of you in the same boat. If your serious on getting off methadone, suboxin from watching people over and over will take you right back once you are off it most the time. It is just another Schedule II Narcotic with a high price for the prescription and doctors. Camporal has only been out since 2004. It was first used in alcohol recovery. They now have found it works great for other drug programs. It is non-narcotic unlike Suboxin. It has kept my nausea bearable, and only one time vomiting, and little time on the throne, Yeah!!!!! So ask your Dr. to check into it if you take the plunge or are currently withdrawing, it really helps me. Well I wish eveyone the best, and hope I have helped even one person make the choice to try. The fear is great thinking about it, but done correctly is all worth it. Peace! That's all we are looking for, even it it just every now and then in this life!!!!

[we`re paddling and bailing in the same boat Jewels. It`s a big boat and there are a lot of us in it . I was on the percs, morphs, & oxy`s as well for 4 years before going onto Methadone. I`ve had 3 shoulder surgeries. The shoulder pain pales when compared to the pain of narcotic addiction. I was at a stable dose of 120 mg`s and went down to 30mg`s then went off cold turkey 11 days ago. Tamaz and clonadine 4 me 2. I was expecting the worst after hearin` the horror stories but it never came. I just wanted to get through the worst of the withd`s before headin` to rehab. I was doin` coke the last 11 months and combined with the meth I went from 190lbs to 140lbs. (wrong crowd ). I`m on day 11 now and I feel better than I have in YEARS. Don`t listen to the hype... every person is different and all can get out of the boat. I`m fortunate enough to have an amazing support system ( god doesn`t even know why my wife stayed ) and I feel no need for rehab at this point. Good Luck...Positive thoughts.

I see that you folks are also victims of methadone. My 19 year old son died because of methadone just a few months ago. I understand that it's powerful and very addictive. My heart goes out to each one of you. I have met so many people that have lost loved ones to this drug. If it doesn't kill you, it can still take your life away. :-(

Please, help us ..it only takes 20 seconds:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/472711451?ltl=1161968279

i have weened down to 20mg by myself is it still hard to go to 0 instantly ..i am scared to but i cant afford it anymore there has to be an easier way to detox ..do you know of any?

to the lady who says we are all victims for being on methadone....
methadone saved my life. If i hadnt got on it id be dead from heroin overdose laying in a ditch somewhere. I know u are upset about your son's death but that doesnt give u an excuse to start bad mouthing the drug and methadone maintence treatments (MMT) that save hundreds of thousands of people a year! i dont think you should voice youre opinion in a manor that completely scares and influences people to view methadone as a lie or a con. do yourself a favor and educate yourself about methadone. I am sorry for your loss, u have my sympathy. telling your story can warn people who abuse, misuse and mix other drugs with methadone. unless you have some proof that your son followed doctors guidence and orders completely and still died unexpectly be careful how you type your opinon. its just an opinion.

I along with the other reply have to say...yes you are just getting started, but don't get discouraged, I went to 10mg then stopped. I took percs for 5 years, and meth for 1 1/2 years. Its not easy, I am on day 12 and I feel almost normal. I, like you thought that one day I was just going to wake up and feel normal again. But its not like that at all. You have to work at it. Right now at 8 days...you can't even begin to try. Just watch your blood pressure and heart rate. Talk to your provider or family doctor, mine prescribed me some non-narcotic anxeity pills and last night for the first time in 12 days I slept. What a victory. Thats how you do it. One victory at a time. Are you close with your family? Because if you were like me most of my friends were involved in drugs too and I had to cut ties with all of them. These girls were my maid of honor and my bridesmaids, we went back 15-20 years. But they all use some kindof pain med. codiene, percs, valium, you can't be around them right now. If they are your real friends, they will be there when you are ready to see them. My family and my husband and my 6m old daughter are my reasons and my support structure. THIS IS IMPERATIVE. YOU NEED A SUPPORT STRUCTURE. Muscle relaxers over the counter will eas e a little of the pain, but mostly you just have to go through it. But you will in time feel better. You will not wake up one day and feel normal, but today after 9 hours of sleep, I feel.....better. I am not sitting on the couch crying. I feel for you very much...I know its hard....You have made the choice, do not look back. My prayers and thoughts are with you

To everyone here on MM. I have been a nurse at a MM center for almost 2 years. I have seen deaths and I have seen success stories. DO NOT give up!!! The symptoms WILL go away!!

Everyone is different. I have see sooo many people who have been non-functioning addicts start here and totally turn their life around. You have to WANT to get help.

What alot of people dont understand is that its not JUST the methadone that kills people most of the time. Mostly these people are still using illicit substances (ie Cocaine or more Opiates) or abusing prescription drugs.( ie Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin)

My heart goes out to all of you guys. I see this DAILY and not that I UNDERSTAND what you are going through personally...but I def know what you are saying.

Good Luck to all and DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

Amber

Hang in there, it DOES get better. Its way worth it to suffer now for just a bit than to be on that stuff forever. Methodone completely screwed my body, not to mention my teeth. Today, I drive by the clinic and am SO relieved that I don't ever have to go there again. It's a great freedom!

Could you perhaps get involved in Narcotics Anonymous to find some support during this hard time? Lots of people have been where you've been and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There was no recovery in methodone for me, it was just as sick of a lifestyle as shooting heroin -- just not as illegal.

Also, I went from 80 mg to 0 mg in 6 months with minimal pain and discomfort. Do NOT let people tell you how bad it is, that gets into your head and just makes it harder. Take vitamins, try to exercise (even just walking to force your body to start manufacturing endorphins again), and keep your mind occupied.

I was on it for two years and slowly went down like they said. It lasted almost a month and a half

PAWS- post accute withdrawal syndrome
I was addicted to oxy contin off and on for a period of six or seven years. In the last few years of my addiction I discovered Methadone and used it to prevent the sickness I would experience from the oxys. I drank about 15-20mg each morning for about six months off and on. I have been completely off of both drugs for almost 2 months now. I still feel bad. I experienced about two weeks of serious withdrawal symptoms (hot/cold, no energy, crawling out of my skin, and mental breakdowns). For the remainder of this time I have felt up and down. These downs include complete lack of energy and motivation. Also I have experienced some signs of depression, which has been very difficult considering I have never been depressed before in my entire life. I was told by a former addict that it takes about four months before you feel back to normal. I am trying to wait six months until I seek help from a doctor for these feelings, as I do not want to become dependent on medication if this is PAWS. My lack of energy and negative feelings are so severe at times that I have panic attacks. On days that I do not have to work and have no obligations, I can not get out of bed. I am hopeful that I will start to feel normal again and that this is not how I will feel forever.

I have been in pain management for 4 yrs now. I was using hydrocodone 7.5/mixed with 80mg of Tylenol ,max 6 day. I have had to have several orthopedic/spine surgeries, thus the need for pain management. I found I had a problem taking hydrocodone PRN, b/c occ. I would have a day where I was not in as much pain and would not take 6 hydrocodone. I began having with WD's, the achy body stuff, and feeling like you had the flu. I did not realize this and it was a while before my doc figured it out too. Anyway, I began methadone and the dose that worked for me was 10mg 2 times a day. I stayed steady on this dose. It works very well. Then I began having very deep sleep, sleep so sound my husband could not wake me up. It began when my other doc added seroquel to the mix, to help me sleep. so when my pain doc realized all this he said I would need to taper off methadone and stay with the short acting hydrocodone. I started in January this year, and this week I just stopped Monday, at the dose of 2.5 mg. ( it was supposed to be a slow 3 week taper) I'm having severe problems getting off this drug, it has caused me extreme agitation, a restless feeling all over my body that would not allow me to sleep. I would lay down and toss and turn like a fish out of water. I felt so agitated I began to panic. The doc prescribed requip 0.5 1-2 for that, and it worked for a while. The only problem is requip raises your dopamine, and I got psychotic. (hearing voices) that is a known side effect of requip. anyway, with the help of seroquel, klonopin, ativan, clonidine, requip, bendadryl, and mortin 800, and soma, and good heavens, I probably left out something,I finally have managed to get to where I'm at today. I have spent this day in bed, achy, depressed. I took 2 hydrocodone and even that did not really help. The pain is really bad. According to what Ive read, it could last for 14-28 days. I have no idea how anyone goes "cold turkey" b/c I would have lost my mind if I had tried that , I'd have been afraid I'd have had a seizure. i was not on a high dose as methadone goes, but none the less, i have had a miserable time getting off this drug. I didn't get off it b/c the drug itself was bad, but it combined with the seroquel was not good.

Recently, we have heard about Anna Nicole Smith- her son,his death being ruled an accidental overdose due to anti-depressants and methadone. Hers, , they still are not sure but according to the news she was on methadone.

methadone is not a bad drug and has helped many people. But it has to be monitored carefully, especially if you take other drugs.