What can you tell me about the medication called Buprenorphine and if it is used for heroin addiction treatment? I know that heroin addiction can be treated with methadone but it in itself causes addiction, and that there is LAAM treatment which can be combined with behavioral therapy, like all the other treatments that comprise of medicine.

Buprenorphine is a particularly attractive treatment because, compared to other medications, such as methadone, it causes weaker opiate effects and is less likely to cause overdose problems. Buprenorphine also produces a lower level of physical dependence, so patients who discontinue the medication generally have fewer withdrawal symptoms than do those who stop taking methadone. Because of these advantages, buprenorphine may be appropriate for use in a wider variety of treatment settings than the currently available medications.