I read a post tonight titled 'home remedies for opiate withdrawal', (or something like it), and half way through I wanted to scream. The thread was closed, so here are my thoughts...

My story is not unique. For over 35 years I've abused many drugs, but heroin was my drug of choice. I've suffered excruciating withdrawals OVER AND OVER and over again, each time telling myself, friends, and family, I was finished. I genuinely believed it was the last time--every time.

If there was an efficacious home remedy I would know about it, because I've tried everything. Yes, there are a couple of things that alleviate the intense discomfort of severe withdrawal, (only slightly), but there's absolutely no 'fix' other than an opiate. And that is the last thing you should do in my opinion. Yet for many of us--most of us--the intensity of acute withdrawal is overwhelming, and intolerable. After failing that, we often attempt... the slow and steady method! Although effective, it is usually unrealistic. We feel too poorly throughout the day, every day, and end up using more than we should. Two days of that, and it's back to the beginning. Thus, we cycle, from detox to relapse to regular use, even when we have the determination of a f*cking pit-bull. It's different for everyone, but there is one common thread--relapse. 

It isn't much, but here are some ideas which help to temporarily relieve the suffering:

0) Early on, I pace. A LOT. Back an' forth... all night. It's just 'my thing' perhaps. It doesn't really help but pass the time.  :)

1) Take VERY HOT baths or showers. It will relax the muscles that are grieving you. I would do this several times during the day and night. This REALLY does help. That's why I put first, I guess.

2) If you have complicating medical issues, skip this. Otherwise, remind yourself you will not die. It helps to tell yourself that you are getting BETTER. You CAN, and WILL get through it if you keep the drugs out of your system. A hard withdrawal "won't kill you, but you'll wish you were dead" is often the truth, I'm afraid.

3) Most of us will not sleep. The sooner you accept this the better. Don't lay in bed rolling around, begging for sleep. You'll get short cat-naps, in which dreams feel like hallucinations. This is only sleep deprivation. You're not going crazy, you won't go crazy. You'll feel like it, but you'll be okay.

4) Do have sex if you have a partner, masturbate if not. Yeah, it sounds absurd, but it's about endorphin release.

5) When vomiting subsides it's important to hydrate. You probably won't eat or drink for many hours, or a few days, so use an orange or some other fruit to stay hydrated and tamp down the craving for food. Again, AFTER the vomiting has abated.

6) I've had mixed results with emergency rooms. Sometimes they'll help, but usually they will not. The drawback is clear--if they do anything at all, it's administering pain and anxiety meds. This is obviously counterproductive. Drugs do not facilitate detox. They only prolong it.

7) Go to a professional detox facility! This should be the first thing you try, not the last. I put it here because we tend to do things our own way; the least promising way, usually. It can be more comfortable in this environment, especially during the first 48 hours They often administer medications which won't pull you out of detox, yet make you feel somewhat better. I've suffered in these facilities, and I've left after 4 or 5 days feeling like death warmed over, but in retrospect, they're very helpful. My #1 recommendation to anyone who hasn't tried it.

Finally, there is a highly addictive class of drugs that will provide a moderate level of relief called benzodiazepines, (Xanax, Klonopin.. etc). They can help if you just cannot get through a withdrawal, but it's not without risk. The treatment model known as harm reduction holds that to minimize damage is preferable to continued addiction. A dead addict will never get clean. This is where drug replacement therapy gets traction. If one continues to use, the addiction will eventually destroy the person. If you use a benzo, then so be it. I have no quarrel with anyone who's no longer practicing addiction. I am not encouraging or promoting this tact, but if you've tried without success to detox, perhaps this is a viable option.

My advice to anyone who truly wants to be drug-free is to do it soon! If you're lucky enough to be young, do it NOW. If not... do it NOW! I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can say this; if you are determined to stop the insanity of addiction you CAN do it! You MUST do it! Now... DO IT! 

As surely as the sun will rise, one fact is inescapable: nothing can get better, but everything can get much, much worse. I assure you, no matter how bad life is, things can still get worse. But you can have a better life--you can fix any problem, so please, do so. There's a hell of a LOT of good stuff on the other side.

I can also tell you what I've done to stay away from heroin, (and other drugs), after initially getting clean. Perhaps this is really the hard part.

I'll check back on this post to see if I can offer any support to anyone. 

My heart goes out to anyone suffering from ongoing addiction, and/or withdrawal. 

Peace.

Hey man....

I thought I had it bad going cold turkey off an 11 year heavy codeine addiction. All the withdrawals you described I had but to a much lesser degree but it sure was shitty. The hardest part now is staying off these motherfuckers ....!!!! Just taking it day by day.. good luck my friend.!!!!!!

That is a substantial amount of time to be dependent on any substance. It's not always about how much, or what we use, I've learned. The length of time we use can determine the severity of withdrawal, regardless of what it is, or how much we use. So the fact that it hurt a lot doesn't surprise me. As we age, the withdrawal symptoms intensify, and it takes less time & use to put us into that full-on kick. Hopefully just knowing that the short term relief (from whatever it is that triggers your desire to use), will always result in exponentially more pain will help you decide to keep your body and mind clean. Are you a pain patient, or was it, (like me), some other reason? Thanks for the reply brother! Here's to LIFE... stay well man!

I started out as a pain patient but like most " innocent " addicts once the pain went the pills stayed and i'll be honest for a long while I quite enjoyed my addiction when I had it under control but over time it spiraled and I began to change. My addiction went from leisurely to totally taken over every aspect of my life that's when I knew it was time to kick. I had several failed attempts but once I did my homework and looked into the science and what I'd done to my system it seemed to make sense. 

If you type in " codeine withdrawal 2 days cold turkey " it will take you to a massive blog and thread which makes some interesting reading...

Stay strong my buddy...!!!!!!

thank you ive been back and forth with this for many years yet this time im really fearing the withdrawal its almost more than i can handle please if u know of anything respone back im sick of life and this battle

I'm sorry for your pain. I know that fear, and if I'm any indication, it's totally normal. I've read a couple of things on rapid detox, (like 24 hour painless withdrawal... ?? IDK.), both conventional and that African medicine called ibogaine. It's supposed to very quickly detox you also. Might be an expensive detox. My advice is to do it (again, I know man), ASAP. If you've kicked before with minimal pain, do it that way again, but try something else for long-term well being. I don't recommend methadone often, but I've used it more than once. If you've been doing this a long time, (like I have), I think you probably know most of what I know, maybe more, but you're welcome to send a way to contact you and I'll get back to you. I dont' want to post here anymore, but I feel for you my friend... Best of luck... Peace.

Don't stop posting "miscreat" I need you

I'm the one that posted this, my name is Tony. If you want to leave an email add, I'll write back.
Hang in there, man.
Peace...

thankyou. I was feeling sick and alone and everything you have said makes total sense to me.. I have been on a rollercoaster of Roxicodone and oxycontin abuse for 4 years since a serious fall broke several vertebrae in my back and neck and caused lots of other damage to my body. After my hospitalization and surgery I attempted to stop the meds, but I always go back. as soon as my scrips are available, there I am, telling myself it will be different this time. It never is, I tell myself I cant function normally without them. The truth is I cant function normally on them ! No one knows I am going through this. I am ashamed and embarrassed and so pissed at myself! People think I am so strong. What a liar I have been. Thank you again for making me see myself clearly.I'm going to pray for the courage to tell my husband. I cant do this alone. peace to you also, and peace to all who struggle with addiction and withdrawl. keep being there for each other. It does make a difference.

I have been on percocet 10s for over 5 years and morphine for over 2 years now. I work construction and its hard for me to get a job taking the morphine so I have decided to take myself off of them and continue with my percs. I'm on day 3 and my main problem is twitching, restless legs, and of course no sleep cause of the last 2 mentioned. I have never abused either of my meds but that doesn't make it any easier. Its not easy changing anything we are dependant on. We can do anything we set our mind on has always been my way of thinking. It's not as easy for some as it is for others but set your goal and stick to it no matter what. It can only get better from here. GL to all trying to kick this c**p.

I finally quit taking pain piLos 5 days ago, by far the hardest thing I've ever done, you just have to be strong and tell yourself YOU CAN DO THIS over and over again, tell yourself you are freaking amazing for having the willpower to overcome such a monster, I'm only day 5 into this but I do know this I never want to got through this again, reading your stories on here has helped me out so much to know I'm not alone!!! 

I have been an addict for 30 years . First on herion .then methadone . For the past 7 years I've been on oxycodone and MsContin . I suffer from wide spread pain in my muscles and joints and my Dr. decided to cut my perscription by 30 pills . Well it didn't work and I still took that extra one at night so I ran out . I made an appointment with the  Dr on call  but she won't refill my medications . I have to go until Thursday with almost no meds . I have 2 morphines and 7 Xanaxes . I've gone through many withdrawals over the years and I hate the restless leg syndrome . I can handle all the rest but that drives me insane. Anyone have any ideas on how to get through that ? I unfortunately have Hep C and many health problems , most a result of my addiction . I know I will really start to hurt soon . I dread the restless legs . I know I will be on pain med for the rest of my life but I am so not looking forward to the next 3 days . Anyone know how to stop the leg thing I would sure appreciate it .

absolutely nooooooooooooo caffeine. that helps. hot baths also helps. I have been struggling with this as well, as I am a fellow addict, it suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx......

Ask your doc for restless leg meds. I think mine is mirapex. It helps some

With 30 years as an addict, I can identify with you for sure. I noticed you said you used methadone, and that has indeed been my savior for more than 30 years. I know its not perfect, but it was the only thing that enabled me to get my life back and become productive again. I take a daily dose of methadone and basically there are no adverse effects, just the $70/week for the meds that I pickup once a month from a clinic. I had tried everything before and even though I'm a legal addict, my life is better than you would think. The main thing is that I have no cravings or withdrawal, and it doesn't make me high, just normal without pain and constant craving. That craving will drive a person nutty as you well know, I'm sure. Maybe you should consider it as a solution. No solution is perfect and sometimes we have to just accept the best thing we can get and live with that. Some of us have no alternative, we have crossed the line of no return. Good luck to ya, guy. Rodney