Hello everyone,

A friend is mine is lying in the hospital as I am typing this. He has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, however, he told me that they still need to establish which type of this condition does he have, and that they are thinking that he has one of the following two types: ischemic and dilated.

Since I have to wait, just like he has, to find out about this matter, I was thinking about asking you guys about these two types of cardiomyopathy. I would like to know, if anyone knows or had some experience with these things, what are the differences between ischemic and dilated cardiomyopathy?

Hi Stradivarius,

I'm sorry to hear this about your friend, this is a pretty severe condition.

People with both of these types have severe left ventricular dysfunction and severe wall motion abnormality. However, the right ventricular is more preserved in people with ischemic cardiomyopathy than in people with dilated cardiomyopathy, and this fact helps doctors determine what type of this condition the person has.

I think that this is actually the best way to figure out which type of this condition does a person have. There were many studies done in order to determine the best way for this, and I think that they chose this as an answer.

Hey Stradivarius,

I honestly think that the differences between these two are very, very small and therefore it can often be hard for doctors to determine whether does a person have ischemic or dilated cardiomyopathy. The only way that I know of when it comes to determine which one of these two types a person has is exactly the one that Adria wrote about above, but it still happens that right ventricular is well preserved in both of these types or that it isn't well preserved in both of these types as well. I'm not sure what can I tell you about this.

Hey again,

I agree with you, Health n Joy. I did some more research about this matter and it turns out that doctors are actually calling this a challenge, figuring out the difference between ischemic and dilated cardiomyopathy, especially in the absence of typical frequent chest angina. 

You know what's good? That since these are so similar, they actually require the same treatment, so it doesn't matter much whether you have ischemic or dilated cardiomyopathy. I mean, the treatments are not exactly the same, but it would work out, it would definitely be easier if one would know which type he has, that's for sure.

Hello there.

I do know what ischemic cardiomyopathy is and I can tell you something about it. Well, ischemic cardiomyopathy (CM) is the most common type of dilated cardiomyopathy. In this type of cardiomyopathy, the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping chamber,  and in that case the left ventricle, is enlarged, dilated and weak. This is caused by ischemia - a lack of blood supply to the heart muscle caused by coronary artery disease and heart attacks. Now, I believe that from this post you can see the connection between it.

I hope that I have helped you. 

Good day there people.

I do know that dilated cardiomyopathy (shortly DCM) is the most common type, and it usually occurs mostly in adults 20 to 60. Men are more likely to develop it than in women. It affects the heart's ventricles and atria, the lower and upper chambers of the heart. Frequently the disease starts in the left ventricle, the heart's main pumping chamber. Well, in this case the heart muscle begins to dilate, meaning it stretches and becomes thinner.  The inside of the chamber enlarges in that case and the main problem is because often spreads to the right ventricle and then to the atria.

Hey everyone.

My sister is having problems with ischemic cardiomyopathy and I know a lot about it. Ischemic cardiomyopathy (IC) is a condition that occurs when the heart muscle is weakened. In this condition that can be very serious, the left ventricle, which is the main heart muscle, is usually enlarged and dilated. This condition can be a result of a heart attack or coronary artery disease. These narrowed arteries keep blood from reaching portions of your heart. The weakened heart muscle inhibits your heart’s ability to pump blood and can lead to heart failure. Symptoms of this disease  include shortness of breath, chest pain, and extreme fatigue. If you have IC symptoms, you should seek medical care immediately.

Hey everyone.

Yes, everything is correct. I believe that this is pretty much the same because dilated cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart muscle, and it usually starts in your heart's main pumping chamber or left ventricle. The ventricle stretches and thins and can't pump enough blood as well as a healthy heart can. The term "cardiomyopathy" is a general term that refers to the abnormality of the heart muscle itself. Sometimes you may feel no symptoms and the good thing is that this disease is actually a life – treated.  It usual affects male population.

Have a nice day.