Good day. How are you? My name is Tully Johnson. I am 55 years old. I have one beautiful grandson, Marlo. He is 3 and a half years old. He was diagnosed with congenital VSD since his birth. He is very small and doctors are giving therapy for him. He is having aneurysm as well. I can't describe you that we are living in big fear for him. I really want to talk to somebody about this because my daughter and her husband just don't want to talk about it. And I understand them. Can you tell me what we can expect? 

Good day there lady.

In the most of the children the cause is not known unfortunately. But it is very common type of heart defect in kids. Some children can have other defects along with VSD just like your grandson has.

Normally the left side of the heart pumps only blood to the body and the heart’s right side only pumps to the lungs. Well, in kids with VSD blood can travel across the hole from the left pumping chamber to the right chamber and it goes out into the lung arteries.

I believe that with proper treatments kids live very nice, and they have normal life.

Hello. Ventricular septal defect is one of the most common hearth defects. The kid may have no symptoms and it seems to you like everything is fine with your kid. If the hole is large - the wall continues to grow after the birth. Now, if the hole is large, too much blood will be pumped in the lungs and this usually leads to the heart failure. I believe that this is the same case.

It is not that dangerous so you really don’t need to be that stressed out. He will be OK with proper therapy. I understand your concern. Good luck.

Hey guys. I am glad that you answered me. I can tell you that your words made me believe that everything is going to be ok with him. I was thinking that therapy can be really bad for him, especially when he grows up. I was thinking that medications are very aggressive for someone like him, in his age. But I believe that doctors do know what they are doing. You are totally right, we never saw any symptoms, he was never crying like he is in pain. Thank you so much for helping me, you made my stress go away. I will inform you if this situation changes.
Have a nice day as well.