:( , i'm injured again. I've been injured since racing on Oct. 4....and my doctor won't refer me to a PT for another week. I can not express how depressed I am. I counted the months I've been out this year due to injury and it's been around 5 months. The thing is, I just started speedwork over the summer and it's been reflective in my racing, so I'm even more determined to be out there. I just can't stand this. I tried to run a mile today, felt so good cardiovascularly, and am in so much pain now. I've hurt my hip this time. I don't know if these injuries are because of what I did to my body dancing for years, loosening all my joints, or if it's just me. So, it's back to RICE for me... any ideas to keep someone motivated NOT to run when she's suppose to be resting?

Shelly

Can you ride your bike while you heal? Riding in the winter takes a special kind of character because the wind chill can make it supah cold, but it's OK once you get used to it. OR you can do the trainer thing and ride inside.

I hear ya Shelee. I had plenty of injuries this year and I know it sucks not being able to run. Cross training would be a good option like cycling, weights, swimming or water-running. Hope you get better soon... :toobad:

probably what I consider beautiful fall weather you would consider winterish, brrr. I'd love to be able to xtrain on the bike. we've had some beautiful weather here. I can't because of the pain. that's why i need to see the doctor, have an xray adn start PT.
Thanks for the suggestiosn everyone. :)

it does suck. thanks for the suggestions. :wavey:

Do you have a hot tub available to you? (Some gyms have them)

Upperbody weights would be good right now--it'll keep your mind busy and your body active!

Maybe start a new hobby that doesn't include exercise at all--a pottery class, a stained-glass class--something that's always interested you but will take your mind off of it.

I could send you one of these: :duh: anytime you think of running! (but only with the greatest admiration and :pinklove: )

I'm sorry you are going through this. Please listen to your doc though so you'll be stronger when you come back.

RunningBrewer has a lot of good advice about this!

being injured is the pits shelee--you were doing soooo great. it's completely :argh: until you find out what it is and how you can rehab.

doing the PT thing helps a little, taking a proactive role that way, but still, i would every time i went to that place. he was trying, but just not healing as fast as i wanted.

i cross train with weights but still feel sluggish.

do you have any idea how/when the injury occured?

good luck with this downtime -- i know what it's like: :argh:

Yeah, I'll continue with the situps and maybe start weights. You can send me one of the thunks anytime. I could use it...especially early morning... LOL! RB...what's your good advise! I think I know what that will be... :nono:

I know you had it really rough with injury earlier in the season. :( It's everytime I race...seriously. Every time I race I get injured. I seem to have the post race excitedment for 3 days after the race and usually over do it big time training...and then around day 4 I'm hurting and tired. and then i'm injured. or i'm changing my gate when I run.. :shrug:
I feel like if I were in PT I'd be doing something to get better....yeah, being proactive about all of this. I hate sitting here especially after seeing results from speedwork.
Thanks so much everyone! The support from this board is really wonderful. :thumbsup:
Shelly

I'm sorry to hear about this new setback for you Shelly. :( I can only imagine how frustrated you are right now.

Why does your Dr. want to put off you going in to a PT for one week? That's my question. You would think that you could get a referral a little bit sooner so you can start your recovery process now...not next week. That would drive me crazy!