how old do the kids usually have to be to run the fun runs? what do you think of kids and racing? my daughter is really starting to show an interest and loves my races. she's only four, but i think in about a year she'd really, really love it if i registered her for the fun runs.

Do you mean a 1 mi. fun run? I think as long as they can complete the distance with some adult help, they'd be OK.

That's great that your daughter is showing interest in your hobby/lifestyle. You must make it look like fun.

i think the popcicles at the end make it look like fun! she just likes teh whole experience, watching the runners, cheering for them...it's pretty great to see her get so enthusiastic about it all.

Little Poky(in the jogging stroller) and Mr Poky did a fun run while I ran
a 5k a few months ago. She actually walked and ran a good portion of the distance.

It was sponsored by a local ice cream maker, Little Poky was in heaven afterwards.

My kids did the 1.5 mile run with my wife a year ago. They were 6 and 4. She pushed a jog stroller along, and they could jump in if they got tired. My daughter jumped in and rode most of the way. My son ran almost the entire thing! Then of course, my daughter jumped out a block from the finish and sprinted past him.

Just like her mother.

Keith and Nichole did a 5k walk whilst I did a 10k last year. Keith had to carry her alot. She always shows an intrest in running but they never have anything near here with a very short distance. She ran a half mile at the track once, I think that's about her limit. :D

The TriKids did a 250 yd dash last year at 5 and 7. Trying to get the boy now 8 ready for track. Especially since we were watching track and field today. I don't think he has lost a school or cubscout race in 3 years 8) Every teacher since kindergarden has commented on how fast he is. The girl is more well rounded and loves swimming

:thumbsup: Isn't it fantastic to watch your kids bloom and develop their talents? I think I'll let Juliet do a fun run with me running with the jogging stroller beside her. Like coaches little girl, she can get in and out when she pleases. I hope they give medals. She would be tickled to have one of her own.
:),
Shelly

A handful of races around here have kids' races where the distances are, 4-&-under 1/8-mi, 5-&-6 1/4-mi, 7-&-8 1/2-mi, and 9-12 1-mi. I bring my guys to a bunch and they love it. And a series over in Duluth sponsored by Grandma's marathon with those same distances is really huge around here, getting 200+ kids per week.

If I can toot my own horn a second..we had to travel a bit to get to many of these, so I motivated my running club to sponsor a series here in town for the kids and we've been getting a good 40 kids each race this summer.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd advocate 5kms for kids under 10, but many major races and even some not-so-major put on 'whipper snapper' races the night before the big event which is a good place to start with the younger kiddies.

my boys have done 2 kids tris and one run this summer. The younger son has stated that he will not do anymore just running--only swim, bike, runs. He's got a competitive streak in him. I'm just happy that the older son will do them.

I was going to have my son do a 1 mile fun run this december but since he is going to be up in New Jersey at that time we are putting that off until a spring race. I will jog it with him so if he gets tired I can carry him a bit until he is ready to run again. (I dont have a jogging stroller)