How far in advance do you plan your races?

How many races do you have lined up for the year?

I only (when healthy) do the same 3 or 4 races a year. So I know when they are.

Racing plans for the year are on hold, for the time being

I have not really done a race that I have not planned for in over 5 years
all are know well in advance (usually year to year)

I have my large races planned well in advance. Almost a year even. The small ones I just fit in when and if I can. If a local race comes up that looks interesting and I've been training, I'll jump in.

Our kitchen calendar becomes our family guide and once it goes up the first of the year, I've got to boogie and set aside some race weekends or else they fill with dreaded events like picnics with the inlaws :P Needless to say, I plan the whole year ahead of time. I save a few years worth of old running calendars, so I know pretty much what weekend a race falls on. There's a half dozen I run every year and try to peak for a couple of my favorites. Otherwise I pick and choose a few more that fit my training.

Yup, this is how I plan for races too. Injuries can get in the way, though. There's one I've been planning on doing for 3 months now, and now I'm injured so I can't. It's really frustrating when that happens. :x
Shelly

I not much of a racer. I haven't done 5k's and 10k's in years. I just really "race" marathons. So, I have my races "planned" a couple of years in advance.

Like the others, I plan the marathons far in advance. I line up the shorter races a few months in advance, but I don't actually sign up for them until pretty close to race day. I keep getting nagging injuries and I don't want to lose the money. ( Who me? Cheap?)

Luckily, I have no real injuries planned so I should be fine once racing season starts

Got my 1/2 planned. If that goes well, I may do the Large Marge at the Fox Cities this year!

Throw in about 2-3 5Ks and other assorted fubs per month and....wala!