any advice? i've been sidelined for a few weeks now, trying to run on and off just to have it become inflamed again. it's really frustrating. even biking began to aggrevate it. i'd go to a doctor, but i'm sure he'll say stop running...which i pretty much what I've have done. the past 2 weeks i've gotten a pitiful 13 miles. my biking miles are adding up.

Rest!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ice
Compression
Elevation

I had a bad case of this a year and a half ago.

Rest was the only thing that cured me. I'd rest a week, run a couple of days, get pain again. Repeat cycle.

I finally took 6 whole weeks off, and all the pain was gone.
It stunk, but it got me over it.

Achilles tendonitis is one of those few injuries that you cannot run through. Every time you try, it will just become worse, as you're experiencing. Follow RB's advice and do the R.I.C.E. If you still really must run, try doing it in a pool.

:(
thanks for the advice, everyone (as I sit here icing my foot).

Shelee----looks like you're going to go multisport!!!! My hubby has had AT since spring and is still not running even with PT. He finally had an MRI today and it shows no rips or tears....but they could see that there is still alot of fluid. He has been biking and swimming better than evah!!!!!

hang in there...........ice cross-wise across your ankle.

sue

:toobad:

Be smart, girl!

Shelee, achilles tendinopathy usually responds best when treated early but can still take some time (sometimes months) to resolve - be patient. However there are some things that you can do to that may help speed recovery, but you really need to seek medical advice and have a proper assessment. The following is for general information only . RICE treatment as mentioned previously, eccentric strengthening and correction of predisposing factors eg tightness in calf muscles, biomechanics, training errors are usually part of the basic treatment plan. Soft tissue massage (transverse mobilisation) by a trained therapist can be helpful, as can a heel lift. For strengthening exercises, you need to warm up and stretch and proceed with caution. The heel drop is the standard exercise, performed bilaterally, and doing sets with a straight knee and sets with a bent knee. Build up very gradually. Ice afterwards. You also need to identify the underlying cause - otherwise you are only treating symptoms and therefore have a higher chance of recurrence. Return to activity needs to be gradual. The longer you put off starting a proper rehab, the longer it will be before you get back on the road properly. It is better to bite the bullet at this stage, before this becomes a chronic injury. Um, sorry, but that was what you wanted to hear wasn't it .

I just love it when you talk all therapy-y to us!

Its the MT's version of talking dirty ya know

I had a particularly nasty case this past winter while training for the Boston Marathon. I would recommend icing every chance you get- whenever you think about it ice it. I also put a small lift in my shoe (actually, it was a sock!) which helped ease the pain.

As for training, I cut back from about 35 MPW to about 25... my long runs suffered severely. I also continued to play basketball, which in hindsight was very risky. The injury lasted a little over six weeks and probably would have healed in much less time if I had shut it down. BUT I am very stubborn and would have had to suffer a rupture to stop the training.

All I can say is that I suffered through it while continuing my training, so it is possible, but the pain was intense and ever present. Plus, I was running a high risk of making the injury even worse. Two last notes, though I don't know if they are related.

1. I had an ultrasound treatment that might have helped, I felt it did, but it could have been psychological.

2. This is a stretch... I purchased a car with a manual transmission. My previous car was an auto.... my injury was to my left ankle. The first few times I drove it (it was brand new) the clutch was VERY tight and the pain was excruciating, but my wife cannot drive stick... so I was stuck with it. Surprisingly, the pain began to subside about two days after I purchased the car. Probably a coincidence, but I think that the exercise of working the clutch could have helped.

yeah, so it seems. i've even considered starting swimming. it's very frustrating, and as some of the others mentioned, i'm thinking about going to the doctor next week. hanging in there, though.

yeah, actually it helps. I didn't know about the heel drop. Stretching (light stretching...even that had to change) is helping.