Alright, if I can keep up some consistancy for the next 2 weeks, I'd like to start on an actual training schedule. It seems for all schedules, you need to have a goal for a specific distance. I'm not too keen on that because there's several distances I want to race. But if you want a race, say a half marathon, or 30k. I want to be able to run a marathon relatively soon, so don't commit to anything that lacks the distance. Half marathon mostly... maybe a marathon, more than a couple 10ks. I'm okay with up to 15 miles for a long run right now, and think my 10k pace is around 6:40, 5k pace around 6:25. Mid to long runs are generally at a 7:30 to 8:00 pace. I guess I've kinda got my eye on 45 or 50 mpw, maybe starting lower around 35 to 40. I have access to a track, but no hills. Or very few, and none suitable enough for a hill workout.

I'm okay with running 6 days a week. Wednesdays are guaranteed off days because of school. I have substantial blocks of time Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There's a duathalon in late March that I'll be doing, and although I'm not really into competing on the bike yet, I'd still like to get at least one or two days of biking, whether combined with running or not.

So here I ask for opinions, and ask for you to make me a training schedule. The more specific, the better. Any questions, shoot them my way. Thanks in advance.

It may be better if you can designate some specified period of time (ie race season) when you'll do most of your goal races. That way you can organize your training schedule around it. I'm sort of planning my training program for the first time this year (for a fall race season) around these 5 phases: (a friend of mine who was an ex-runner/ironman triathlete loaned me a really useful book regarding training for endurance sports) (1) Base: usually last 8-16 weeks depending on your program, mostly aerobic training (mostly easy), little or no racing or speedwork. Most of your strength work (weight work, calisthenics, etc..) would be done here as well. Gradual increase in volume (with an easy week for every 3 weeks of buildup to allow recovery and adaptation) (2) Intensity: Probably the hardest part of the program to get by; lasts 8-12 weeks again depending on your program. Large increase in volume and intensity. Start to add speedwork during this phase (or during tail-end of base if you wish) You can probably do a few races to check your progress but avoid too much racing Follow the 3 weeks of somewhat more abrupt buildup with an easy week as in base (3) Peak- 4 weeks usually; the sharpening/tapering phase; large reduction in volume compared to intensity but keep up high intensity workouts. Some early season races can be scheduled here, again same principles of buildup and recovery apply here (4) Race- 4-12 weeks depending on how long your race season will be. Most of your goal races will be in this block. Volume should be low but intensity (ie speedwork) should be high (5) Recovery- 4 weeks; aim is to let the body actively recover and regenerate from training and racing. No racing, speedwork, strengthwork, or other structured training regiments. Allow for unstructured activities (X-training) other than running to keep active (you still can run but run when you feel like it -ie. no structured training regiments) Also, How much time are you going to put in for training? It may be useful to start to planning how much time you are going to allott for training and how are you going use that time. I just covered the basics here and there's alot moe useful stuff that I havent explained. The more experienced folks can add in or correct me if I'm wrong in certain areas. I still have the book with me though it's not in rez with me but at home. If you have any questions or if you want to know more just pm or email me. Good luck and have fun with the planning and training!

Meant to post this in mid-packers... if one of you kind moderators would like to move it, be my guest.
Done

For elites, tranining schedules for 10k, half-mary and full marathon or not significantly different. The secret is miles, the more the better....

Don't worry too much about pace just get up to 50-60 miles a week and take if from there....

Your long run of 15 miles is fine right now...I wouldn't tinker with it significantly unless you decide of course to go for a full marathon...and if you do decide that have a base long run of 15 miles at the beginning of that marathon will hold you in very good stead, for successful training and execution of a marathon.

I'd schedule something like this...

Day-1 6 miles easy
Day-2 8 miles moderate
Day-3 off
Day-4 8 miles (4-6 at tempo pace; for you 15-20 seconds slower then 10k pace).
Day-5 10-12 miles easy
Day-6 6 miles easy
Day-7 15 miles long run pace -- start out easy and pick up to run last couple of miles 15 seconds or so off goal half mary pace (or at marathon pace).

If you want to run for performance in a 10k you can modify this schedule by keeping schedule above and possibly modifying the following days.

Day-2 get some 400-600m intervals in...in addition to 5-6 miles of easy running
Day-4 8 miles but don't go over 4-5 miles at tempo pace...back of the tempo pace by an additional 5-10 seconds per mile if necessary.

best of luck...

---
megawill

skinny man---

I follow Jack Daniels' running formula. I normally follow his Plan A or B.....which is strictly focused on the marathon itself. But his book does have a Plan C...which builds in races at other distances at then ends with a marathon.

However, as Megawill already stated.....having just the program and miles make you real strong. I have actually done pretty well sticking in a 10k race without backing off any mileage. I've hit my 10k PR hitting my highest mileage week ever and then backing off the week before the race.

My program is pretty much what mega laid out. The tempo runs are just creatively different each week. But that is the bread and butter. The long run and the hard run. I build up to long tempo. This week I've finished up interval paced workouts. I built up to 10x1000s at 5k pace. So now running at 10k pace for 5x6 minutes should feel easy.....but I will build up to 4x12 minutes during the hardest phase. I could never run a 5 mile tempo run unless it were considerably slower than 10k pace.

I predict that, however, where you and I need work are complete opposites. I think you will need to be very consistent with that long run on the weekend in order for you to complete your marathon. Keep it consistently 14-16 miles every week and then build up when you schedule your marathon.

Megawill's schedule looks great for the end of a base building phase, but even with his addition of 400-600m intervals for 10K's, I would go a little heavier with speed as you get close to the goal race. This is true even if the goal race is a 1/2. Tim makes a good point on periodization, so you training will look different at different phases of your training. I don't necessarily agree that there should be a dramatic reduction in volume in his 3rd and 4th phases, but there should certainly be some drop.

There are an awful lot of ways to run fast, and different schedules work for different people. AFTER building up the mileage, my version would be something like:

Monday - 6 miles easy
Tuesday - Long intervals (5 x 1600m at 10K pace)
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Tempo run
Friday - 6 miles easy
Saturday - Short intervals (300-800m around 5K pace)
Sunday - Long'ish run (10-15 miles)

For the tempo runs, I tend to be less formal than most people on these and have seen great benefits from hard runs ranging from 3 to 10 miles, no matter what the race distance. I'll just mix it up a bit from week to week, and tend towards longer runs if I'm training for a half or full marathon. The pace will of course vary with the distance. It is just comfortably hard for the fast part, with some easy warmup and cooldown miles to pad the distance, especially on the shorter tempo days.

For 10K's, I haven't seen much (if any) gain from long runs beyond 10-12 miles, but I've haven't seen them hurt either so no problem going up to 15 to support your half marathons, and to make it easier to step up to marathon long runs later.

Sue - your 10 x 1000m at 5K pace or 4 x 12 minutes at 10K pace sound extremely hard. How much recovery are you taking? 5 x 1000m with the typical 400m jog recovery is considered a tough run for most people.

Craig: I'm taking about 3 minutes of easy jogging for the 1,000s....I am allowed up to 5. To be honest....I think it was a bit much for a woman my age...it tweaks my hamstrings.

When I get to the 4x12 minutes.....I get 2 minutes and I am usually a very happy camper when I'm done. Again....I may factor in the age thing this time...and maybe go up to 10 minutes.