Im in a flat windy city in California known as Tracy. Im a freshman at my school who has recently done some races on hilly courses. On flat courses im a good runner but at hills i die out. Does anyone have any ideas o how i can "create hills" in my area because i really do mean its flat there isnt a hill in the city. Also i need a bigger hill that a treadmill can provide me with

Frank Shorter coined an old running adage, "hills are speedwork in disguise". So what that means is you can get your speedwork in by running hills. I do believe the contrary is true too, that you can get stronger on the hills by doing speedwork. Throw in some tempo running, track intervals or just a handful of surges in your runs that mimic the demands of what a hill might be light at that point in the run.

When it comes time to race, being a hill runner isn't always the best strength to have. If you can learn to use downhills to your advantage and even flat stretches to throw in surges, you may just find that any ground you lose on the uphill portions can be made up pretty easy with alternative strategies. :D

by speedwork do u mean like sprints or just a hieghtened pace. Also i use my downhills to my advantage as much as i can but being short doesnt allow me to get my strides longer than 8 or 9 feet on a good downhill when people are taken 10 or 11 feet

do you have access to stairstepper or elliptical machines? I'm assuming due to your young age that your main problem is that you've never learned "how" to run hills. I live in a very flat area and am really surprised to find that in races I actually do quite well to my competitors on the hills, but I was fornuate enough to have lived in some very hilly cities to develop a technique. Do you have any bridge overpasses in your city? That's about all I have and when I approach them, I work on foot turnover.

People have differing opinions about downhill running. In my opinion, your friends taking the extra longs strides are breaking their momentum. You should open your stride some, but like jrjo stated, this is where speedwork comes in. My opinion, running downhill is about turning it over quickly, it's all about letting the downhill take you and you are breaking just enough to keep from falling over. I can tell you from my experience, that living in a flat area and then using the "falling" technique in a hilly race.....it's a little "scarey", but I'm sold.....hitting a PR at my age, something worked. :)