To those that frequently run long races (half marathons, marathons and up), how did you manage to master the technique of drinking on the run? I can never seem to get it and end up spilling most of the water/gatorade or choking on it. Also how often do you marathoners drink from aid stations without losing too much time? Do you stop to drink at most of the aid stations or do you just target a few during the first few miles while having been hydrated before the race starts? I have a half marathon coming up in 4 week's time and I'm planning to use that to practice on-race hydration/refueling and I want to get the technique right...

squeeze the top of the cup and drink from one of the "spouts" that gets created

I have heard many use X's technique, and like it.

I just throw it back and swallow, I'm not real good at it on the run, and usually end up choking on it.

If I slow down and walk for a few seconds to do it, it's no trouble.

Practice makes perfect. Years ago, I lined the top of my mail box with cups of water and practiced over and over until it became somewhat routine. My neighbors looked at me like I was insane ..... worked for me. :D

myself i only drink 1 mouthful. if it's hot i'll dump the rest over my head if i'm not hot i toss it in a provided can.

Half marathon, I only use water once or maybe twice. If it's a small race, put a water bottle on an aid station that you will use. There's a rule that you can only get water from an aid station, but it's rarely enforced. I find it much easier to drink from a bottle because you can just squirt some in your mouth. The pinching of the cup doesn't work as well as you might hope, but it's better than just sipping on it like you normally would.

I cut a piece of a drinking straw about 5 inches long and put it in the waist band of my shorts. I grab the cup, stick the straw in cup and squeeze the cup around the top of the straw. Hardly slow down or anything. I love this cuz I am used to having lots of water or gatorade duning runs/races. Just dont forget and throw the straw to the ground instead of sticking it back in your waist band. :|

i am trying this for next long race :thumbsup:

I prefer to just splash the gatorade/water in my eyes, nostrils and on my head right from the start because that's generally where it ends up anyways.

I inject an IV needle into a vein on my forearm and then just pour the fluid directly into my system.

I am trying this for next long race. :thumbsup:

Try the Camelbak IV series. They are GREAT! Just remember to set the drip low at the start, or you'll have to pee.

I stop for a few seconds to drink. Gives me a brief chance to allow some recovery in the legs.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions..I'll try the paper cup "spout" idea...I've heard numerous positive comments about that technique.

for a quick inlux blow back hard into the straw. the air pressure just shoots that ice water into the viens. AHHHH...how i missed the sweet cool feelings.