Anybody ever do a mile fun run just to see how quick you can knock out a mile?

I'd like to do it just once, but I think I'd feel a little foolish (for whatever reason).

Why feel foolish? I think it is a great idea!
I've been wanting to go back to the local high school and conquer the track that conquered me--but I would feel silly. (but I'm still gonna do it!)

The last time i did it, i was in fifth or sixth grade. I ran a 7:11 mile and took second in my age group. I didn't improve as much as i might have hoped from that point.

I think if i see one advertised, i'll sign up for it.

I don't know that I'd do a specific mile fun run at a race. I would go out to the track and run your mile to check your time. If I get back to my schedule, I'll be doing speedwork on Wednesdays. Every other or every third Wednesday I plan on giving it all for one mile to check my improvement.

I tried it a few times, when I ran. Was nice to see how fast I really could do one.

PH, for my training my coach would have me do a mile all out run just gauge me. I would do a 2 mile warm up jog to the track, then run all out for 1 mile, then a 2 mile cool down jog.

I would love to try it one day. But specifically train for it. Just to see how I would do if I went all out.

Just don't knock over the little kids getting to the front.... :P

I love the mile. There, I've said it. If there were as many club-type track meets for adults as there are road races, I'd without a doubt be back on the old oval, rackin' it down 4-laps at a time. It was what I lived and breathed in high school. On occasion, I still head back to the track and pound out some mile reps just to relive the feel. My Pr in HS was a 4:30 and I'd like to think I still have a sub-5 somewhere in these legs. Maybe next spring we can get a riff-raff virtual mile improvement challenge going..that'd be supah fubs.

I'd like to do one also but like you would feel foolish doing it all out when it's supposed to be a fun run.

That would rock! :banana:

I've always considered fun runs as strictly family events primarily for small children. A couple of years ago I did one with one of my grandniece because she wouldn't run it without me (she was 8 at the time).

If I saw an adult doing a fun run at adult race pace, I'd be thinking in the back of my mind..."jerk, id**t" and pointing out to my grandniece someone you wouldn't want to emulate.

On the other hand if the race was an adult event designed for a 1 mile fun run race, it could be interesting.

Well...yeah. I would feel dumb if i was the only adult in a race filled with 11 year olds. But, there are probably a couple that feature adults. I saw one from last year where the winner dropped a 4:30 and it looked to be an adult race.

There used to be a couple events in the area around here.. the "Main Street Mile" and the "Minnesota Mile". Both were just a blast. They were flat out straight one-milers. To keep the race size sane, there were different heats based on how fast you intended to go.

You know, the mile races sound like pure hell to me. I don't think I could ever put fun and a mile race together.

Now, just on ones own, don't know. I've had times when I've really run hard for a mile and come away very happy...but it's usually spontaneous.

Have you ever given it a try?

:wiggle:

Shelly