I run cross country for my high school we are returning state champs we lost our fifth runner. I am now the fifth runner with the 6th 7th 8th 9th and 10th right behind me. Our number four guy runs in the 18's then me following up in the mid 19's then the others on my tail. I was wonder how i can bring down my time with extra workouts other than our practices. And break away from the other runners behind me any ideas or suggestions???

It's all about mileage. If you're not doubling, I'd recommend a before school daily 4 miler.
That was the ticket for my cc team back in the day. G'luck!!

yeah, definately more milage. once you establish a solid base with your team workouts on top of it, you will be amazed at the results that you get. we were the #4 team in georgia and we lost our #1 (my brother, brandon, thats who i'm nicknamed after) and our #6 or so runner but we've stepped it up at training and hope to come out on top this year at states. what state are yall in?

Well im always tired from our after school workouts, but i can always pick up my mileage with a two-a-day. I go to school in south carolina, and we have raced against some geogia teams at some of the meets.

solid base mileage then speed work and hill work.

once the base is set where the difference will be made is the hills and speed in the race.

a little competition is good especially for a team that already has a high standard. I for one would be greatly interested in your progress

Well so far I have ran 3 races so far this year 1st race I ran a 20:06, 2nd 19:09, then the 3rd was a 18:57. But now im am goin through an injury problem, possibly shin splits. If anyone one know a good way of recovering from it please help me.

best healing is time.
Also back off with the intesityin training

Yea my coach is gona give me time off from running so i can get better so i can run this weekend. But as of now im running about a minute faster than i was last year so hopefully this wont set me back.

What distance were the races?

shin splints suck believe me. Make sure you ice them often and use a whirlpool if there is one at your school it really helps a lot!

I run 5Ks but yea im always icing my leg after the works out then later on in the night. Ive also been cutting the workout in half and trying not to run on hard surfaces. And i just ran a 19:12 today, and still having trouble with my leg after about 3 weeks.

Did you go to the Iolani Invitational in Oahu this past weekend?

Great turn-out.

Definately build your 4mi to 6mi at the longest.