A little back ground/mini bio on me

Name: Jonathon
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Time since last run: 4 years

I used to run all the time (was in track and x-country 7-9th grades) but then I found cycling in the 9th grade and didn't have time to split my trainning like I shoulda so I dropped running.

Now I want to expand my event to triathlons but my running stamina is horrid!

So I find my self here looking for tips on 1) Nutrion 2) How to get back into the grove 3) How to get used to running by your self (I always ran with my team mates so I never had to solo it)

I know this isn;t going to be an over night thing, my running legs won't come back over night. Anyone have any tips for an old runner starting from square one? Motivation? Ipods good or bad? Anything else I may have missed?

Are you still in high school? Can you rejoin the track or XC team? That would provide plenty of good training.

Don't expect to get back in to shape in 2 weeks, but since you're young and you've been riding a bike, you should get back into good shape pretty quickly. :thumbsup:

An MP3 player will be a good way to keep yourself entertained on your solo runs, but if you run outside, make sure you keep it low enough that you can hear what's going on around you.

Be safe and have fun.

Ipods good or bad?
I think this really comes down to YOU. Try running with your ipod, then try it without it and see what you like best. I love running with my Ipod, it keeps me going. If i don't run with it, my head gets the better of me and i end up stoping when i know i can go on.

1) Nutrition - Obviously it's best to cut back on sweets and soda, if you have those a lot. You shuld make sure you're getting plenty of vitamins, and especially minerals like iron and calcium. There are a lot of good tasting cereals that have ton of nutrients in them, like Multi-Grain Cheerios. Bananas are good post-workout food. Make sure you drink enough water.
2) You should start off running 3 days a week, at an easy pace, and a low mileage - as in, don't try and push yourself, just do how many miles each day you are capable of right now. Then you can go to 4 days a week, then 5 days a week, with the same miles each day. Then I would add more miles.
3) It's not that hard to run by yourself, and sometimes its better. If you run at a park, sometimes you can just use other people as pace setters. Personally, I like running alone, its nice, no distractions.
Tips - Make sure you get enough sleep, running can be draining if you're not running on a full-engine. Make sure you have good, new, running shoes that fit you. Avoid running on sidewalk if you can. REALLY stretch after you run. Get a lot of calcium, it helps prevent shin splints. I'm telling ya, cereal is the . :)
Ipods is just personal opinion, do what you want.

Ipods good or bad?
I think this really comes down to YOU. Try running with your ipod, then try it without it and see what you like best. I love running with my Ipod, it keeps me going. If i don't run with it, my head gets the better of me and i end up stoping when i know i can go on. :1:

No I'm no longer in highschool, so rejoining track isnt an option, I can't join the college track team either because I'm going to cullinary school start this summer (in Austin....which seems to be full of really hardcore fitness people so that'll help).

Is there an opinion on shoes? The a3 gigaride caught my eye but it looks like its all eye candy no results? I need a shoe that has some cushin as I haVe a bad knee (inserts help a lot too)

Jonathon

DO NOT get any of the flashy shoes..like gigaride..trust me, they look really sweet but they are not designed for real "runners"
i would recommend you get an Asics shoe, try looking into the Gel-Kayano, Gel-Foundation, and Gel-Cumulus. if you have a local running store near you they should be able to help you but if its not a "personal" store yeah i would try out those shoes i mentioned above.

Ok already learned something....flashy = bad :D

I tried a run today, was able to knock out a mile in like 14 mins or so...which all things considering isn't THAT bad but its like 8 or 9 minutes slow than what I'd love to be at (but don't think will happen with out a TON of hard work)

Heck, I'd like to get down to being able to run a string a 5 min miles, too, but that's a whole lotta work.

Hang in there, you'll get faster.

Are shin splints where your shin/front of the lower leg hurts?

If so I think I have them....how do I fix it? More milk?

/me runs off to eat lots of cereal!

/me runs off to eat lots of cereal!

I like cereal too, but I don't think it helps shin splints.

/me runs off to eat lots of cereal!

But the calcium from milk rarely ever hurts :D

If I feel my body can take it should I try pushing past a mile? Running on the track is getting bored and I'm not sure how long this path by work is (and I haven't gotten around to checking it with my bike...maybe I should?)

I think it may be a mile and a half or so....

Basiclly should I try it if my body feels alright?

Jonathon

I dont see any reason why not to.