well, actually it's the muscles on the front of my shins. BTW, hi everyone i'm new. i've tried at least 3 diff. pairs of shoes, running at diff. times of day, wearing socks or not wearing socks, and the front muscles in my shins always hurt so i have to stop. i used to be able to run 3 miles a day but now i can barely make it five mins! i need to be able to run not just for my health but i also have to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 12:51 (that's the PT to be a cop). the shoes i've tried are: NB 725, NB classic 1300(the 3 mile shoes but not anymore), and i even tried some rubber spike track shoes and ran on the dirt, can anyone help?

I had the same prob, and I bought a stretching book for runners and used it to streatch my calves out everytime I run. I definately helped me. I think maybe walking a half mile or so might help to to get ur calves stretched and ready for the run. Plus, is this mileage that you built ur rather quickly? if so, maybe u have shin splints and need to relax for awhile? I'm sure u'l get good advice from other runners around here....
Kell

the thing is when i ran 3 miles that was about 2 years ago...i just now got motivated(and got a good work/school schedule) to get back in to really good shape. And i stretch everyday, 15 min before i lift and it's mostly leg stretches. Do i just need to take it easy and start small, i know i can't get back to 3 miles in just a week, so should i start with just about a half mile and increase it from there as my legs get stronger?

Hi to you in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. I'm just down the road a bit. I'll wave the next time I head down the BA Expressway.

On to the subject at hand, I would guess you have shin splints. I would take it easy and build up your leg strength a little at a time. If you continue to run with shin splints, it has been my experience they only get worse.

Proper stretching of the shin muscles and calves will help tremendously.

I have a great exercise that will cure your shinsplints! Want it?

i would love to have an exercise to help my shins, thanks!