Another runner and I have been running our long runs together for the past 3 months. We will both be running the same marathon. Initially our goal times were different (mine was faster), but his traing has been great and his goal time is much lower now.

So, the question. Has anyone ever run a marathon (or other long race) with their training partner? Any thoughts on if this would be a good idea or not? My concern would be that I would either run too slowly to stay with him or possibly the opposite. The good thing is that it would make the race more comfortable and make it seem more like the usual training run.

I have done two with a partner.

Our younger brother, Ken did his first and 2nd marathon with me

The first one we did, we ran the whole way together.

The second one, he was much better trained and we rain together for 10 miles. I knew we would not run together for the whole way, it was not fair to him. I had only trained for like 2 months and really jumped in two months before the race.

I trained for and ran with my younger brother for my only marathon too. (same one as rtpd)

It was nice having a long run partner as well as an experienced marathoner with me on race day

no......I always run my own race.

I'm training with a group on Sundays for mine, and I have no doubt most of the others will leave me in their dust on the actual day, and I'm fine with that. Kendra and I plan to run it together, but both agree we're going to run our race. (our pace is almost identical) My brother is also training for it, but should leave us fairly quickly.

I guess it depends on your goals. This being my first I simply wish to finish, run the whole way, and remain upright at the finish line.

I ran my first one two weeks ago with my buddy (his first too) that I trained with, we didnt have a problem running with each other, and it really seemed to help us in the later miles whenever one of us needed a boost.

I ran 21 miles of Chicago with 2 people I trained with. It worked well but we had sort of a standing agreement to split up if our paces started to vary so as not to hold back one of us if another was having a bad day (thus I ran the last few on my own). Worked for us, especially pacing the beginning and keeping from going out to strong.

I am running my first marathon in January and planning on running it with one of my running partners. Her and I are at the same pace so it should work out. She has run on before. I have already told her that she can go ahead of me if needed but our goal is to stay together and help each other out as long as we can. The rest of the group I run with I know will be far ahead of us.

I plan to do the MCM with the girl I've run the most with in my training group. Both of us have been having knee problems but still want to do the race. But we've also agreed that if our races are going very differently, we'll split up. I think it will be a big comfort to be together through it. I know I won't be "alone" during the race but it will be nice to be able to talk to someone I know. It's our first marathon and for me, I just want to finish and keep the pain manageable--those are my goals now.