Hey guys,

I have never been much of a runner, but I am very interested in beginning. The problem is that whenever I check out running websites or magazines I don't see any examples of running programs. Im used to bodybuilding and powerlifting where you need a proper program to progress, so I am unsure of what to do with running.

So, my questions are:

1. How can I train for a mixture of short distance and long distance?

2. Do I keep track of my progress with the time I ran for or the speed it took me to run a certain distance?

3. My final question is that at the moment I am very unhealthy cardiovascularly. I probably can't run for 10 minutes. Should I push myself a lot in the beginning or go easy with it?

I would appreciate any links to good reads to get me started.

Thanks a lot :D

When you say training for a "mixture" of distances, I'm kind of assuming road races, so for a beginner, let's say that would be 5kms to 15kms. So with that being a goal, the one thing you really need to do is train for 'overdistance'. That meaning, if you want to ultimately be in shape to race 10-miles, you need to have a weekly long run of 11 or 12-miles. That'll cover everything shorter than that too, so there's the 'mixture'. (marathons are their own creature).

Since you are starting from square-one, keep track of your mileage by the week. Your weekly 'long' run should be 30% of your total week. So if you want to overdistance for a 10km race and get yourself in weekly shape for, say, a 7-miler. So if that's 30% of your week, you need to log about 23-miles a week. So there's your first step goal, get yourself to the point of running 23-miles a week.

Including "sprinting" in your program for distance running is what we call "sharpening". Your aerobic base built by getting your mileage up is 95% of the program. The speedwork comes in the month or two before your peak race, once your mileage has plateaued, as a weekly workout.

You really shouldn't add more than one element to your training program at a time. So forget about the sprinting/speedwork until you've got a base of several months at your goal weekly mileage. Throwing too many straws on the camel's back is bound to break it

Thanks for the reply :D. I see what you are saying. How often should I be running weekly (if I don't follow those plans)?