hey im new to the forum and i really need to ask about stomach cramps

i get them every race ive ever ran, some worse than others

the past few races ive ran my stomach cramps really hindered my racing ability. It normally occurs within the first mile of a 5k and gets worse as the race goes on no matter what i do to my breathing pattern (it usually just switches to another spot on my stomach if i get rid of it). I cant breath in fully so im definitly not getting enough oxygen. The location of the stomach cramp varies all over my stomach. Is it because i have weak stomach muscles. Plus, now i think i pulled a stomach muscle because with an enormance cramp i pushed my finishing kick to beat another kid in the race and now its slightly sore.

any suggestions?

You might be too tense. Loosen up and just relax.

What did you eat prior to the race?

i doubt the tense thing i spend a lot of time mellowing out before races

i eat normal stuff i think i had a peanut butter and honey sandwich before that one particular race

i'm not eating anything within 3 hours of a 5K. i try to drink alot every day and the morning of a race i have maybe 8 oz of water on my way there...sometimes nothing. my stomach needs to be empty or i will cramp every time. no gatorade or powerade beforehand either...it's probably very personal to every runner though. if you are running with any intensity, i'd try it on an empty stomach next time.

good luck and welcome :wavey:

How soon prior to your race are you eating?

Are you talking cramping in the stomach like a digestive/intestinal pain, or the actual stomach muscles cramping? :shrug: You know what I'm saying??

like one is from food/drink intake
the other could be an actual spasm in an abdominal muscle
it could be either in your case.

yes, that's what I thought he was talking about but with the replies I wasn't sure. I've had both and can tell the difference. With the spasms, trying to stretch it out helps, kinda tricky while running though. 8O

yea my actual muscles are in searing pain my friend says that it could be just weak stomach muscles. Could this be true?

What is your training like? Are you putting in mileage 5-7 days a week? How many weeks a year?

Jumping into racing in the fall for cross-country is what I'm suspecting. Without a base of summer mileage minimally, you're bound to crack at your weakest link, which sounds like is your intestines. To get beyond something like this you really need a 12-mo a year program and establish a week in and week out routine your body can get accustomed to.

i started running since june going from a jumping routein in winter and spring track to about 30 miles a week in june and to 40-45 in august to now

Yes, I think this could cause cramping of the muscle.

i used to cramp up a lot too, but i heard that stomach cramps (like the ones that are kind of on your side-ish) are because of lack of hydration, so maybe try drinking lots of water, if you aren't already

Any type of excercise to strengthen your stomach muscles i.e. situps, would certainly be beneficial. Also, it's quite possible, the temperature of the water that you're drinking just before the race, may be too cold, which may be another cause of having cramps. Also try to stay away from dairy products at least 6 hours before.