My husband is actually the one that is feeling like c**p and it's gone on way to long. He's had the dry heaves for a very long time and we don't know how to get rid of them. When he does eat it comes right back up along with the dry heaves later. It usually happens during the night in the early morning. We've asked other ones but they don't have any answers either. I thought I'd give this a try for him cause I hate seeing him this way.

I would certainly recommend seeing a doctor if the symptoms have persisted more than a week. If this is only the second or third day, it is probably just the stomach flu or mild food poisoning. In that case, he should only eat foods and drink beverages that will be very easy on his stomach. (Tea, toast, applesauce, flat soda, saltine crackers...) Make sure that he stays hydrated. If the dry heaves, and not the vomiting, are the main concern he might be able to make them somewhat less painful/uncomfortable by turning them into actual vomiting. I know that this seems counterintuitive, but I have learned from experience that vomiting is far less painful than dry heaving. If he can keep water down, he should drink a glass or two before bed. That way, when he wakes up with and begins heaving (either during the night or in the morning) he will be able to bring something up. Alternately, if he wakes up merely feeling nauseous and not actually retching, he can immediately drink a glass of water. It will most likely come right back up, but it will also prevent an extended period of nausea. I have also found that an episode of vomiting usually ends after I have emptied my stomach, while an episode of dry heaves can persist long after my stomach would have been empty even if it had been completely full. (I would recommend sleeping with a bucket close by if you try this.) Again, make sure that he stays well hydrated and call a doctor if the symptoms don't go away. Hope your husband feels better.